NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 22nd October

John Togger

I'm getting reports it'll clear up on Friday (not holding my breath though :rolleyes: ). The trouble is by then its almost full moon, so any DS observing is going to be hard going.....again :(

This pattern is starting to become pretty tedious to say the least.

I was tempted with RC but after laying carpet tiles yesterday afternoon my back was not happy. I did have a look at the Moon and Jupiter from the back garden. The Moon was nice and clear with only a few bits of cloud passing over it. Jupiter wasn't too bad but the views suffered due to the brightness of the moon. I did try and get a picture of Jupiter but, looking at the video data this morning, I haven't got anything useable really. Of course, it'll be solid cloud until the next full Moon !!

I had quite a good session... was pretty cold but I managed 2 hours out. Saw Jupiter, Pleiades and had a look at a few stars I hadn't seen through a scope before... one was Betlegeuse the fiery red flickering one, and I got a good view of Alberio the double star... nice clear red and blue :) Was quite happy but I didn't realise what a pain that moon is.... its so bright that its worse than even light pollution in central London. Then when I tried to see Jupiter up close with a 4m eyepiece my primary mirror had completely fogged up, so I decided to call it a night.

I realise you need ideal viewing conditions for deepsky observing, very clear night and no moon as when I put my scope on any nebula or even andromeda there was nothing visable.

Archived