NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you connect a Tal Newtonian reflector to a HEQ5?

Russe

A 110mm.

If the Tal 1(110mm/F7,3) is an older one, then as mentioned in the thread above, the rings will be part of the top plate casting. If later, then it'll have removable rings. The changeover 'seemed' to happen around 1998/99.

If the latter then just get hold of a dovetail and fit the Tal rings to it.

If the former, then you'll need a pair of rings to suit the tube. Pre 2002 Tal 1's have a seamless 2.5mm thk aluminium tube with an outer diameter of 140mm. So you'll need to get a hold of some rings. Skywatcher do a pair in that size, but I found(at least on my rings) that I had to stick on a layer of the fuzzy(not hook) self adhesive velcro, for a good fit. Again, they then bolt to a std dovetail.

Andy.

ps: none of the 6" Tal newts are effected by this, as it seems, no matter their age, they always came with removable tube rings.

pps: If you have a Tal M(80mm newt), then rings that fit 102mm tubes will work with that. I use repaired Tal 100RS rings on it ;)

Archived