Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New APO, some dust inside, oppinion on difraction test...

My scope is here (yay!) but I found some dust inside the main lens.

Will it impact in any way observing or imaging ?

The dealer also calibrates the scopes before delivery (good costumer service), and this is the rezult for my scope.

Can somebody explain what to look for and what a bad (or good) example looks like (so I have a reference point).

Is mine any good?

thx

post-25039-0-42581400-1350684810_thumb.j

post-25039-0-30483900-1350684816_thumb.j

Interpreting refractor star tests is a complex business and it's easy to get paranoid when yours does not appear to match an a so called "ideal" test.

I have an ED refractor with a similar spec to yours - 102mm F/6.5. It's star tests seem vary from good to poor but thats due to varying seeing conditions which can really mess with the intra and extra defocused star images. When the seeing conditions are good my scope performs well and thats all that matters to me :smiley:

I'd stop worrying about the star test (which looks fine to me anyway) and get on with enjoying the scope !

The specs of dust should not really be present in a brand new scope but they won't affect the image at all.

Archived