Where now? Total upgrade? Just change OTA?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice on where to take my interest next. Last year I bought a Skywatcher 130P GOTO - it's been a good starter scope but I've quickly found it limiting.

Is the next step really to put this one in the recesses of my garage and buy a completely new one (looking for a reflector), or can I get a larger and better OTA and use my current GOTO mount?

I'm not after spending thousands...max £800 all in, but i'm not sure what to do next.

Many thanks,

I don't think you'll get a much bigger scope on the GOTO mount that the 130P is sold on to be honest, and if you're buying a new mount as well as an OTA then £800 isn't going to go far if you want GOTO. The 200P flextube GOTO dob is perhaps the best way to achieve a large increase in aperture for that budget.

But as Agnes says, perhaps it's best first to consider what the problems are with your current scope and what's most important to you for using the new one.

James

Hi

The Goto mount would possibly struggle with a larger tube. An upgrade worth considering would be the Skywatcher 200P reflector, either as the Skyliner (Dobsonian) version for £300 approx or the Explorer / EQ5 version for £415. There's also an upgraded Goto system based on the HEQ5 but that costs over £900 if you are willing to spend the extra money. My own preference is for the Skyliner as I find it easy to set up and use.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-heq5-pro.html

HTH!

Hi there,

Not sure about the mount but it's here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-synscan-az-goto.html

It's hard to say what i like most, I really look at what's around when i'm out, but admittedly I mostly look at DSOs.

I've found the scope useful to learn, but on the bad side, it's hard to focus and get a shart image, unsteady on the mount, poor viewing (partly pollution which i get is not the scope's fault), etc.

I do suffer from light pollution, mostly orange street lights. But i'm also going away for xmas to galloway forest so really wanted to spend a bit to take advantage of the time.

I guess if i'm complaining of an unsteady mount then putting a larger OTA on it wouldn't be advisible!

David

Ok thanks guys,

I've now decided that I won't put anything on my current mount. I'm now questioning my default requirement of having a goto mount, which seems to add circa 50% to the costs.

Do you think I should take the plunge and get a scope without one? I'm a 'scientist' by trade so well up for learning...do you guys use these or not? How do you find not using something automatic?

David

For a travelscope I thought small and got an ST80.

The only thing you will see better from a dark site are extended DSOs and star fields, and the ST80 is up to showing those well at low power.

I enjoy the push and go type scope. I also enjoy GOTO but that's cos I enjoy imaging.

If you buy second hand, for £800 you'll get a 12" dob :-o and some good eyepieces.

Flog the current scope and you're talking 16" territory!

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Thanks all for the advice.

Alan - I would like to say that's the best advice i've received all year. I'm considering spending just shy of a thousand for a 10 day holiday! I am also judging my expected experience based on what i'm struggling with (poor viewing) at the moment. I shall keep my money (well, spend it on Talisker), enjoy the dark skies, and consider what my next move shall be in the new year. Many thanks!

David

Ha yes, i'm sure being the oracle of advice is priceless.

I've just seen the moon phases for 20/12/12 - 05/01/13 .... NOT good. Another reason for keeping (spending it on whiskey) my £1000.

Cheers,

Ha yes, i'm sure being the oracle of advice is priceless.

I've just seen the moon phases for 20/12/12 - 05/01/13 .... NOT good. Another reason for keeping (spending it on whiskey) my £1000.

Cheers,

£1,000 will by you a LOT of whisky (he says, coincidentally taking another sip of Talisker, as it's raining out)...

I know where you're coming from, I'm in a similar boat. I decided to get to a local AS and compare a few scopes before parting with the hard earned pennies. Definately see what your current scope can do in decent skies and then make a decision would be my in-expert opinion.

Clear skies.

Archived