NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synguider comes good . . . really good !

Steve Ward

The jargon as far as I know recommends a focal length of 400mm or more. The general concensus is more is better, but I know some folks have success using smaller guidescopes/finders with guide cameras, but I don't know if anyone has had any success doing the same with a Synguider. My ST80 is 400mm focal length.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had my first attempt of each of these: 1) auto guiding; 2) using a synguider; 3) using my 'new' 2nd hand modded eos 300d; 4) using my sw equinox 80 for imaging; 5) using a TRF-2008.

These are both single 300s subs, no darks, lights, bias, flats or anything, after only the quickest ever tidy up in photoshop. post-12157-135215998183_thumb.jpg

post-12157-13521599921_thumb.jpg

All from my home just outside the m25 on the m3 side of London.

I am very happy indeed. An evening well spent.

The guidescope is a celestron travelscope 70 which is fl 400mm (and available for about £50 as it goes)

And the mount is a heq 5 pro

I meant to say, I'm still working on mounting the guidescope to the main imaging scope and and had some flexible which seems to have led to some elongation, but like I say I'm happy with it as a first play. Things will no doubt only get better.

I'm waiting in some hardware parts to arrive so currently the weak point on the mounting is a single 1/4" whitworth bolt connecting the scopes and dovetail bars. With that and the change in temperature in going outside in the cold, things moved a bit.

I did notice the elongation in the first pic, but you can see Andromeda starting to appear and I bet if you processed this further you would see quite a good pic for a single image. One tip I read and took special notice of, was to reduce the RA and Dec aggresiveness by about half. On the initial test the star was moving off centre and was slightly jerky in its movements. I halved the aggresiveness and it held perfectly still on the crosshair for over an hour. I have only used mine on one evening so far but I love this little devil already.

Nice tip. I'll give that a go.

I've since installed the hack on my 300d so should eliminate mirror shake, and the other mounting clamp has arrived which will reduce flexure, so lots of minor variables to play with.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these myself a while ago but still haven't got round to using it as I'm having difficulties setting everything up. Just spoken to someone locally who has offered help so hopefully I'll be in a position to have a go myself. Your images are great, I love that final shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived