NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andromeda - Getting somewhere.

asteele3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest you use BackyardEOS and start with 30 sec exposures, 5 exposures to rule out peridic error peaks or wind. Add 30 sec longer for each batch of 5 till you find that drift in your exposures are starting to be a problem.

I think 120s should be possible if you do a good job at polar aligning.

Trouble is my scopes focal length is 2032mm. Slightly difficult to image M31 considering all I can get is the core star. Still proud of my image where you can make out the different dust lanes and clouds. In some ways, I don't want to have a finished image yet because I'm only 19 years old and my knowledge is limited but my age is still young, so I've got a long time yet to get the image that I want of M31.

You could produce a mosaic of 8 or 12 panels, then you could cover it I think. It just about fits in a DSLR frame with a 510mm focal length scope. You would need 4 panels wide and at least 2 high maybe 3 - making 8 or 12 panels. Not an easy job to get them just overlapping so that they can be stitched together, though. Your scope is more suited to planets than DSOs unfortunately. A good starter scope for DSOs is an ED80 refractor (with focal reducer for the huge M31).

Yes. When I was deciding what scope to get, it was between the ED80 and the C8. I went for the latter because of the focal length and I want to get images of planets. However, I also wanted to get images of galaxies and star clusters and so far I've managed to get some good images from it. And they are both small scopes which is handy for me as my first one was massive!

You may be able to get some good images of the smaller DSOs. There are plenty of small ones. You'll need to get good polar alignment and go for guiding later as you'd be doing well to get more than 30s subs with that focal length without eggy stars. Try the small bright one's first.

I think you are flogging a dead horse trying to image Andromeda at 2032mm. You will never get the image you want.

I have been using dslr's for years and thought I knew how to use them. Naively I thought I could use that knowledge to produce outstanding images of dso's, just like the pics on SGL. I stacked my lenses to reach a focal length of 1100mm and wound up the ISO to extreme amounts thinking I would capture the light. Boy was I wrong. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

My first attempts at M31 were disasterous. I would not even show them on here, they were that bad.

So I looked at everyone elses pics and noted the equipment they used, Iso settings, focal length etc, and realised I knew nothing about astrophotography. Some of the best pics on SGL have been taken at less than 300mm. So for M31 my big expensive lenses were useless. So I went down to sensible focal lengths, ISO's 400-800 and subs around 90-120secs. I learned a little about processing the pics to get to the faint stuff and BINGO!! I got a relatively decent M31. I still have a way to go, but am definately getting somewhere.

My advice to you, with your equipment, would be to aim for the smaller, maybe more distant dso's that you can fit in the fov. Learn the secrets of processing from the knowledgable folks on here and get some pics you can work with. When you have the appropriate equipment for M31, have another go and knock our socks off with the pics.

M33 is a good bit smaller and is just a bit below M31. That might be interesting in your scope.

Archived