Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula Structure, A Supernova Remnant

DugDog

I've been quite and not posting many images lately because I've been working on this image. It's a three panel mosaic of the Veil Nebula Structure. This is a combined total of 6 nights of imaging, from August, September, and October. The image after cropping is 4366 X 3128 pixels.

I used Photoshop's Photomerge to assemble and merge the three panels. At 100%, in some parts of the image, you can see some stars that "swirl" during the merge. REDUCED sizes of the image show no affects of the merge. I have some favorite parts of the image and I've added some of these crops here.

The details of the images:

Veil Nebula Structure, A Supernova Remnant

NGC6992 Eastern Veil

Pickering’s Triangle

NGC6960 Western Veil

Mosaic Composition Photo Dates:

August (Pickering’s Triangle),

September (NGC6992),

October (NGC6960) 2012

Mount Palomar, California

Equipment Used to capture Photo:

Orion Parsec 8300M

Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Autoguide Camera

Orion 2” Nautilus Filter Wheel

Orion 2" Ha, SII, OIII Narrowband Filters

Orion ED80T CF Triplet Apochromatic Refractor Telescope

Orion 80mm f/11.4 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube Assembly

Orion Atlas EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount

TeleVue 0.8x Reducer/Flattener

Mosaic Exposure Details:

ALL Exposures 600 Seconds

NGC6992 – 20 Ha, 19 SII, 19 OIII

Pickering’s Triangle – 23 Ha, 23 SII, 21 OIII

NGC6960 – 11 Ha, 11 SII, 9 OIII

Exposures taken over three months, total exposure time = 26 Hours

Processing:

Captured in Nebulosity, Stacked in DeepSkyStacker, Mosaic Assembled In Photoshop’s PhotoMerge. Further Processing in Photoshop.

One of my favorite parts of this image is the “faint outer shells” of the structure…faint wisps of the supernova remnants. I love the Veil Nebula and I’ve never tried a Mosaic. I only wished I started this earlier in the summer, my last frame of NGC6960 was sinking fast in the west in October. I was able to capture NGC6960 during the last quarter of the moon, an advantage using Narrowband filters.

Here's the FULL SIZE DOWNLOAD Image:

http://fc01.devianta...ell-d5hvyca.jpg

It's 11MB so it may take awhile to download.

veil-nebula-structure-v4-final-800-wide.jpg

veil-nebula-structure-v4-favorite-crops-01.jpg

veil-nebula-structure-v4-favorite-crops-02.jpg

veil-nebula-structure-v4-favorite-crops-03.jpg

veil-nebula-structure-v4-favorite-crops-04.jpg

WOW!! That's wonderful - such fine detail :) I'm working on this one ATM - or rather I will be wen we get some clear skies. I've got some data - two OSC mosaic panels and some Ha of the whole Cygnus Loop. I need to get more OIII in particular and a bit more Ha would be good. Are you going to add another mosaic panel for the nebulosity lower down, below and to the left of the Witch's Broom?

Thanks Gina and HNWA!

@ Gina, yeah it would be good to get the lower part, I know there's ton's of wisps down there. It's sinking fast in the west now, I may not get again until next year. The only problem is it wouldn't be one frame, I would need three more to make the photo look uniform.

Thanks Gina and HNWA!

@ Gina, yeah it would be good to get the lower part, I know there's ton's of wisps down there. It's sinking fast in the west now, I may not get again until next year. The only problem is it wouldn't be one frame, I would need three more to make the photo look uniform.

Ah I see - oh well we'll just have to wait until next year for the rest and an even more superb image :) Anyway, thank you for posting your mammoth work of art and science, it's really beautiful and a joy to behold :)

Archived