Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope help

Hi

I'm just getting the astronomy bug again after a couple of years out, and I'm after a bit of advice on a new scope.

In the past I've owned a couple of 8" reflectors and a 6" Schmidt Cass on motorised EQ5 mounts, and although the images through them were very good, the size and weight of them made moving them in and out of my house such a pain, that it put me off using them most of the time, so much so, that I ended up selling them cause they spent most of their time in the garage gathering dust !

Now I want to start observing again, but funds are very limited.

The main objects I'd be viewing would be the moon and Jupiter, and I'd like to have a go at imaging them using my old Toucam webcam.

I've already got an EQ3-2 mount, and I've got about £150 to spend on an OTA to use with it.

What I'm after, is a scope that will provide good images of solar system objects, yet isn't too big and cumbersome.

My question is: Which OTA would be best ?

I may be able to get a second-hand Skywatcher 120 Evostar but I'm not sure if this would be too much for my mount.

Any input on the Skywatcher, or any alternative recommendations would be greatly received.

Thanks very much

Kev

An evostar 120 would be quite hefty for the mount (not just in terms of weight (5.7 kg), but due to the length). What about a skymax 102 or 127 (seconhand)? Much more compact and lighter and lack the chromatic aberration of the evostar 120. The 127 in particular is a very good planetary scope, which punches well above its weight, just look at results frequently posted in the planetary imaging section. Note that even a Celestron C8 OTA is lighter than the Evostar 120 (by a whole kilogram!).

Thanks very much for both replies.

I like the look of the Skymax 127. It looks to be a good performer whilst not being too heavy and cumbersome. Just what I was after !!

Now to try and an OTA for £150 !!!

Unless anyone's got any other recommendations that is !!

Cheers.

Kev

A mak seems to fit well with your requirements. If you're interested in planets as well as the moon then I would advise trying to get a 5" version rather than 4" as the extra apeture will really help here. As Michael says, astro buy & sell is a good place to look. Hope you find what you're after.

I must admit a 5" Mak looks to be just what I'm after - good performance, and not that big and heavy I'm going to be put off getting it out on a regular basis or taking it to a remote location.

I'll do as suggested and keep an eye on astro buy & sell to see if I can find one in my price range.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Kev

Just when I'd decided to go for a second-hand 4" or 5" Mak, and had starting searching ebay and Astrobuy&sell, a work colleague said he has a Skywatcher 130 Newtonian on an EQ2 motorised mount that I can have cheap (he told me he only paid about £170 for it and I think he'll let me have it for about £100)

Is a 130mm Newtonian such as this going to give me similar views to a 4" or 5" Mak, or am I better off waiting for a Mak in my price range to come along ?

Thanks again for any advice.

Kev

It's a good scope at a decent price, but won't give the same high magnification moon & planet viewing as the Mak due to it having less focal length. It's arguably a better 'all round' performer though... Would he let you try it out once or twice before buying it to see how you get on?

It's a good scope at a decent price, but won't give the same high magnification moon & planet viewing as the Mak due to it having less focal length. It's arguably a better 'all round' performer though... Would he let you try it out once or twice before buying it to see how you get on?

I have to disagree here. A Newtonian can provide the same magnification IF it has been collimated properly. Yes, a fast Newtonian can show coma, but that is more a problem in wide-field viewing (which the Maks do not do that well either). Maks are a bit more compact, and are more tolerant to low cost EPs. In my experience with the kids' 4.5" F/4.3 mini-dob, cheap plossls give pretty good views in these scopes. I have not tried the latter on planets. Another advantage of slow scopes is that for planetary work, eye relief does not become as tight in Plossl or Abbe Orthoscopic EPs.

If you can try the scope before buying, that is ideal of course. If you want to get a Mak later, you can always sell the newt with little or no loss.

Thanks for the advice. Good idea to ask for a test before I commit to buying it. I think I'll be seeing him in work tomorrow so I'll ask him then if I can try it out first.

I have to disagree here. A Newtonian can provide the same magnification IF it has been collimated properly. Yes, a fast Newtonian can show coma, but that is more a problem in wide-field viewing (which the Maks do not do that well either). Maks are a bit more compact, and are more tolerant to low cost EPs. In my experience with the kids' 4.5" F/4.3 mini-dob, cheap plossls give pretty good views in these scopes. I have not tried the latter on planets. Another advantage of slow scopes is that for planetary work, eye relief does not become as tight in Plossl or Abbe Orthoscopic EPs.

If you can try the scope before buying, that is ideal of course. If you want to get a Mak later, you can always sell the newt with little or no loss.

The eyepieces I have are the Celestron Eye-Opener kit. To be honest, the eyepiece I use mostly out of the set is the 32mm. I ccassionally use the 13mm and 17mm, but the 32mm is my favourite. Again, good advice about trying the Newtonian out first. Thanks.

A mak seems to fit well with your requirements. If you're interested in planets as well as the moon then I would advise trying to get a 5" version rather than 4" as the extra apeture will really help here. As Michael says, astro buy & sell is a good place to look. Hope you find what you're after.

I've tried ebay and Astrobuy&sell for a 5" Mak, but i can't find one I can afford. Performance wise, how much difference is there between a 4" Mak and a 5" Mak ?

Thanks

Kev

I've tried ebay and Astrobuy&sell for a 5" Mak, but i can't find one I can afford. Performance wise, how much difference is there between a 4" Mak and a 5" Mak ?

Thanks

Kev

About 55% light gathering power. If you can stretch to it I personally think it is worth getting the extra inch of aperture.

Archived