Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing in or around Milton Keynes

wilkie

Hi. There are 2 Astro societies in MK:

Milton Keynes Astronomical Society

www.mkastro.org.uk

Open University Astronomy Club

www.ouastro.co.uk

Both of them focus more on talks and social gatherings although both do have observing sessions from time to time.

MKAstro is certainly a good place to go to meet people and get advice.

• 1 year later...

Hello there

I am new to Stargazerslounge.com (just signed up today) and came across this forum as I am looking to join a local astronomy club in the Milton Keynes area.

I have looked at Nene Valley Astronomical Society in Northamptonshire as in addition to member evenings, they have regular observing sessions and the light pollution isn't too bad. Milton Keynes Astronomical Society is closer to where I live and although I hear their "astromeets" are very good and very informative, I get the impression from reading some other forums that they don't undertake too many actual observing sessions.

Can anyone enlighten me?    

many thanks

Keith

Hello, and welcome to SGL.

MKAS meet alternate Fridays in Bletchley and always welcome new members.

We do have an observing group that meets periodically at a relatively dark spot just outside MK but it is generally adhoc based on weather conditions. Generally organised via email on the day.

But come along and meet us, and you can find out more.

We also have regular speakers covering a wide variety is subjects.

There is also an OU Astronomical Society that meets monthly, and organises activities at their observatory, though I think that is more science focused (eg spectroscopy) than pure observing.

Dave

Hello, and welcome to SGL.

MKAS meet alternate Fridays in Bletchley and always welcome new members.

We do have an observing group that meets periodically at a relatively dark spot just outside MK but it is generally adhoc based on weather conditions. Generally organised via email on the day.

But come along and meet us, and you can find out more.

We also have regular speakers covering a wide variety is subjects.

There is also an OU Astronomical Society that meets monthly, and organises activities at their observatory, though I think that is more science focused (eg spectroscopy) than pure observing.

Dave

Hello Dave

Many thanks for your response. Yes, I will pop over to Bletchley to meet with you and your colleagues at MKAS.

It will be good to meet like minded people who share the same passion for astronomy.

Many thanks

Keith

Your posts give me the idea that you are close to MK< but possibly not in MK, if so which side?

There is a small club at St Neots, another at Bedford and a bigger one at Cambridge - although the Cambridge club does not have observing sessions as in members collect together to observe.

St Neots meets on a Monday night at Paxton Pits, good car parking and they use the car park to observe from, reasonably dark.

Cambridge meet at the Institute of Astronomy on the Maddingly Rd, good facilities, not really dark.

I do not know the Bedford club.

There is a club at Letchworth, they meet on a Wednesday (well used to) and observe at Standalone Farm on the edge of Letchworth on a Friday/Saturday - convenient for working. Letchworth is however a bit more of a trip.

Your posts give me the idea that you are close to MK< but possibly not in MK, if so which side?

There is a small club at St Neots, another at Bedford and a bigger one at Cambridge - although the Cambridge club does not have observing sessions as in members collect together to observe.

St Neots meets on a Monday night at Paxton Pits, good car parking and they use the car park to observe from, reasonably dark.

Cambridge meet at the Institute of Astronomy on the Maddingly Rd, good facilities, not really dark.

I do not know the Bedford club.

There is a club at Letchworth, they meet on a Wednesday (well used to) and observe at Standalone Farm on the edge of Letchworth on a Friday/Saturday - convenient for working. Letchworth is however a bit more of a trip.

Hello Ronin

I am approximately 9 miles from MK itself in the village of Sherington, which isn't that far from Bedford either.  Sherington is situated between Newport Pagnell and Olney. St Neots is a bit further out so I am going to pop along to the Milton Keynes Astronomical Society  and attend their next astromeet, which is going to be held on the 11th July.

Thanks for the info though, I very much appreciate it.

Keith

Just added a couple of the Beds and Bucks clubs in.

Fedastro list Cranfield however cannot locate on the site given - assume it has ceased.

Clubs

Many thanks for this Ronin.

The OU Astronomical Society that Dave mentions are based in Cranfield so it's possible they may have changed their name.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Keith

All I know is that the link on Fedastro for Cranfield Astro leads to Page not found, and I cannot locate anything on the Cranfield site concerning an astro club. So the presumption being it has ceased.

Archived