Venus pretending to be Jupiter. Doh!

Stu

In an attempt to start a regime to lose a few (many in my case!) pounds, the wife and I went for a walk up on the heath at 6.30 this morning before work.

It was early, and I was half asleep, let's just remember that :D. Walking up the hill, more west than south, I looked up and saw a bright 'star', with a tiny point of light next to it. Despite it being in the wrong part of the sky, too bright, and the wrong colour, I confidently said to the Mrs, ' There's Jupiter, and you can see one of it's moons. I've never seen that before, amazing'......

Fortunately it didn't take too long to wake up and realise I hadn't suddenly developed eagle eyed vision, and that it was Venus, next to a bright-ish star. Checked when I got home and it is Regulus, very close by.

It was a lovely sight, did anyone else catch it, or image it?

As an aside, has anyone ever seen one of the Gallilean moons with the naked eye? I guess maybe Callisto is theoretically possible with very good seeing and very good eyesight when furthest from Jupiter....at opposition....?

Stu

Nice, I'll put no.1 son (Hawkeye) on the job. He has focus perfect vision and can make out Saturn's rings.

The phases of Venus do look good in a scope.

I once pointed out Jupiter, saw a bright light on the horizon. It turned out to be a light airplane.

Seeing as this was at a star party, I went and hid in the tent for a while!

Nick.

Well I have to say Capricorn, unusually, I did 'fess up, even though she would never have known any difference. Another mortal blow to any pretence of competence or knowledge :D

Nobody has replied to say they saw it....was genuinely a lovely sight in near daylight to see them both together

Stu

Archived