Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Harvest Moon - 29-09-2012

mikehab

Is that a single frame or a stacked image? London is going to be very different from my location I'm sure, but I find that a faster exposure at a higher ISO setting tends to work better because it minimises the effects of atmospheric turbulence. The subs I took as a basis for my own image of the moon on Saturday night were 1/1000th @ ISO400, so it might be useful to experiment.

James

That was just I single frame. I did take a whole load of subs and tried stacking them in Registax but it failed to align the frames properly and I gave up. I'll certainly try what you suggest and crank up the ISO and use a faster shutter speed to see if it helps with getting a sharper image.

Thanks...

It pays to persist with Registax because it's fairly moody at times :)

What works for me is to take the RAW files from the camera and run them through PIPP first. That produces a set of TIFF images (Registax can't read RAWs) optionally cropped to centre the object (the Moon in this case, obviously). Registax seems to find those a bit easier to deal with because the alignment is then much easier.

James

Archived