Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dSLR 300D - mirror slap

Aenima

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, very sorry about the confusion, I didn't keep track of what i'd said and who to. :(

So, currently I'm testing out the process and camera functions in general - in preparation really, to see what issues arise and how to go from there.

I set the timer 10sec. - quickest exposure that will allow me to see a star, mainly for 1-5sec. exp. testing the bahtinov mask etc. And in the resulting image the startrails(straight lines that fade over a few mm) are expected but the bright judder effect that gives the impression of the sensor having twitched is the main issue that I believe needs some correcting - hopefully by mirror lock or similar.

I did try small anount of double sided sticky - but even the largest amount i'd dare use for fear of damaging the felt lining and or mirror surface didn't hold it, so looking at mirror lock again. Quite nervous of breaking it to be honest. Not easy to get another.

Thanks to the folks above for time and help, very grateful. :)

Regards

Aenima

I still think the majority of your woes is caused by having to manually depress the shutter release button on the camera.

:)

This would be great. I am seriously hoping it can be remedied this easily.

Do quite a lot of people use dSLR's with no Mirror lock without problems?

Regards

Aenima

The 300d was and still is a very popular camera for astro photography, I used to use my Nikon D80 and that had no mirror lock function, it did have a delay setting though. The mirror mechanism was a loud "clunk" but it produced some ok images. The Nikon D60 has also been successfully used and that too has no mirror lock up for use during exposures. (The mirror lock up on a lot of the Nikons is mainly just for holding the mirror up while the sensor is being cleaned)

Nice 1 ta. It really is just a matter of a small delay, wouldn't think it as asking much of a dslr but the whole mirror shake seemed to only affect the minority of astro or extreme close up work, so wasnt a full feature untill a few models later.

I can but try, as they say.

appreciate your input, thanks. :)

Regards

Aenima

I know its a little way off, but if your going to SGL8 there will be loads of imagers there who can show you there set ups and offer tons of advice, and keep asking here on the forum, I'm sure you'll overcome this, after all, problems are only solutions in reverse. :smiley:

It'd be great to see that many set-ups and astro-peeps in one place, though travel would be a pain - esp. if I want to bring a scope.

End of the day this is really my most direct link to fellow stargazers and knowledgable astronomers, and i'm very glad I found it.

Thanks.

Aenima

• 2 weeks later...

just an update, seeing as thread title is 300d mirror slap, and since getting remote cable and motorising my mount has vastly improved the use of the 300D with my set-up, :)

thanks folks glad I followed the excellent advice posted here by numerous members above. :)

To summarise: The mirror slap can indeed be minimised by remote shutter release to a point where the tracking takes over as the bigger concern, especially regarding stars - to an experienced eye the mirror might just tweak them slightly but not enough to bother me right now. :) - when tracking holds the target in place the 300D does quite well without MLU hack providing its triggered by cable release.

Now I just need to put what I've learned into practice and try processing the results in deepskystacker, from what I have seen so far this is not as easy as it sounds.

Many thanks.

Regards

Aenima

That's absolutely fantastic news, really pleased things are looking up, can't wait to see some photo's. Orion is steadily climbing into the sky and will soon rise early enough in the evening for you to get a good go at say, M42. This is a great place to start as you can take subs from say 20 sec's for the centre to over 5 mins for the nebulosity if your tracking is good, although anything up to say 3 mins will provide fair results . Then there is M78, M43, IC 434(Horsehead Nebula), Flame Nebula and a few others all in Orion so you don't have to move around the sky too much. Some obviously require longer subs to really bring things out, but M42 is a great starting point because it is bright and easy to find. It really depends on just how good you can get your polar alignment and tracking.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask, the only silly question is the one you don't ask.

Won't be long and you'll soon be looking at guiding, there are some relatively cheap ways to get going in this area such as finder guiders and converted £20 or less web cams. Your now on the slippery slope into the dark arts of astro-photography, the sky really is the limit :smiley: :smiley:

I like it, thanks! :)

Yes. In all honesty the astrophotography slope has only just started, and a EQ goto is similarly foriegn to me. Last dec. was the first time I'd seen through a scope and by feb. of this year I already had a webcam in the focuser hole rather than the eyepiece. :)

But as with most things there are some aspects that I pick up really quickly, and some that I never fully understand. Astronomy is no different.

It would be great to be able to ask questions that might be obvious to others, or just make for a terrible thread starter....

I did manage to attach my canon to the scope for a few shots that night - 13th - and was almost surprised when the whole process actually worked. Not the best pics but proof of process is good enough right now. They're in my gallery along with the webcam stuff.

I will get back to you on the matter if thats cool?

Many thanks

Regards

Aenima

sure, we are all here to help each other, what good is knowledge if we can't share it, ask away an don't be shy, get back whenever you like an as many times as you want. :smiley: the best thing about this hobby is the camaraderie and being able to help others.

I like the amazing attitude, much appreciated. :)

So far the weather has been clear that once, 13th oct. so cant reallly make any progress - but I do know that there's a lot I need to learn, especially some of the software involved.

Im anticipating having to learn about periodic error, so..........google, methinks. :)

Thank you v much,

Regards

Aenima

Archived