NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do I get spectroscopy equipment?

Hi, I am a newbie astronomer but would like to give spectroscopy a go.

I have found one filter (star analyser 100) from one source (green witch) but can't find anything else.

Is there no other choice?

I'm assuming my sw200p is up to the job but not sure about cameras?

I have a Sony alpha 200 and a Panasonic HD video cam. I am about to attempt the Xbox web cam mod and thinking about getting a cheaply planetary cam. Which would be best.

What software do I need.

Thanks

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

You could go direct to Paton Hawksley for the SA 100? I understand their service is pretty good.

I think you can get good results with a DSLR or a webcam - lke the SPC900. There seem to be some more knowledgeable chaps and ladies here who will probably give a more definatie answer (I'll be watching this thread as well as it is something I think I will be looking into).

I use rspec for my software, but it does cost after the demo period is over. There is also vspec and ISIS which are free program's.

To learn more have a look at some of the posts and people's websites. There are also some good books to read, particularly by merlin66.

Most important is to keep asking, because there are lots who can help.

Kate

IIRC, Stephen Tonkin wrote or edited a great book on spectroscopy too. I beleive he posts here as well, but under which moniker I haven't yet fathomed. His book is out of print, but you might find a copy in the Amazon market place or on Abe books.

The SA 100 provides a low cost introduction to amateur spectroscopy. When mounted on a 1.25" nosepiece on your camera it will give you good results.

(Members in the US also have the option of the Rainbow Optics grating)

Your SW200 will do the job and I'd start with the camera(s) you have.

Tonkin's book is still available on some s/h websites, and the new "Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and "Grating Spectroscopes - How to use them" are available from Springer and Amazon.

As Kate said, RSpec, Vspec, ISIS and Audela are all available to allow you to process your spectra.

Archived