Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 428EX - Final Decision

JacobvonChorus

Hello,

I finally have saved up enough for the Atik 428EX. Before I go out and buy it, what are the opinions on this camera? I know there are a few owners on this forum. I am using a Sky Watcher Equinox 80 at 400mm. I know this is much better than the Atik 383L+ which I had been considering for a long time. Not any more, I am going Sony. How does the 428 compare to the Atik 314L+ with my setup? Finally, is the 428EX just an Atik 460EX but with less pixels? Will the noise, QE and cooling be the same? It is the same according to the website but they aren't always that accurate.

What is the full well capacity of the 428 like? Will the stars saturate quickly?

Jacob von Chorus

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 428 OSC, previous to it I had the 383L+ and before that the venerable 314L+ both Mono cameras were superb, I chose to go back to colour (originally DSLR) as it became

apparent that since using Mono the actual amount of images I had had dropped due to never actually getting enough data on all 4 filters, the Ha images where however wonderful. I must be one of the odd imagers that have gone cooled Mono CCD to OSC CCD and not the other way around.. :grin:

Whether you choose a ATIK Mono or OSC the Artemis capture software is awesome... :cool:

I have no regrets going OSC from MONO, I will go back to MONO when I get my kids through high school and college and have more time to get serious .

Oh and one of the new 2012 Norton 961 Cafe' racers :p

1.jpg

Nice bike! I am sure I want to go mono, narrowband is the biggest factor for this decision since the vast majority of my imaging time is under heavily light polluted skies. I also like combining multiple images containing different data to make a colour image (I have done some narrowband with my DSLR). Do you like the 428? The comparison isn't exactly fair since one is OSC and the other is mono but how does the 428 compare to the 314L+?

I am pretty final on my decision for the Atik 428EX mono and I have the money, I just have to work up the courage to spend it all!

Jacob

Archived