Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1100d settings help

hello all,

i've bought myself a canon 1100d and i'm trying to work out settings for ap. at the moment i'll only be using it on a tripod as i'm in australia and only have a heritage 130 dob with me but eventually i'll be using it on my 200p eq5. for instance, in the histogram setting do i use brightness or rgb? i was wondering if anyone has made a thread for camera settings for dummies or is there a tutorial anywhere that anyone can point me to.

i thought i was finished with my stupid questions but aparently they have only just begun.

thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help/advice you may have to offer

Scott

Your histogram is only really useful for daytime shooting, and is only an indication showing data on a picture you have already taken, so it doesn't matter what you look at it in, it has no bearing on the picture your going to take. Your user manual is a good place to start for information on the various features. :grin:

thank you for your advice on histogram settings. i know the manual is a good place to start, thats why i'm reading it. i also thought sgl would be a good place to start where ppl use this camera for a specific purpose :grin:

If you have just a normal none motorised tripod, you will find the longer focal length lens you use the shorter your exposure will have to be to stop star trails, and the easiest way to get started is to use eos utility on a laptop/pc to control the camera via usb lead, this way you will be able to see your results instantly and adjust accordingly, without even touching the camera.

SGL is a great place to get advice on your settings/set up, but its equally important to know your equipment well, it will save you time setting up and the occasional embarrassing moment, this coming from a very experienced photographer, who somehow managed to set the aperture to F29 on my lens 2 weeks ago and ruined a whole nights viewing, of which we have had very few over the past few months. It wasn't until I was looking at the RAW files in digital photo professional that I realised what I had done, a big slap to the forehead and a resounding "doh" could be heard :rolleyes:

People will like different options and different lens can be a factor as well, is your lens a Canon, Sigma, Tamron ? All will have different characteristics and slightly different results.

If you are thinking of a 200P and DSLR on an EQ5 I seriously doubt that you will have a stable sysytem. The maximum load on an EQ5 is 9Kg and the 200P is all that, then add in the weights for balance and the DSLR and you are way over, especially as for AP you should be about 1/2 to 2/3 the max load to allow the drive system to operate easily.

Youi want a big mount and a small scope, not the other way round.

People will like different options and different lens can be a factor as well, is your lens a Canon, Sigma, Tamron ? All will have different characteristics and slightly different results.

If you are thinking of a 200P and DSLR on an EQ5 I seriously doubt that you will have a stable sysytem. The maximum load on an EQ5 is 9Kg and the 200P is all that, then add in the weights for balance and the DSLR and you are way over, especially as for AP you should be about 1/2 to 2/3 the max load to allow the drive system to operate easily.

Youi want a big mount and a small scope, not the other way round.Yeah Capricorn, i realise the mount is not ideal for ap and i am currently saving for an neq6 however circumstances have seen me return to oz for a while so it may be a while before the new mount comes. eventually the eq5 will be for visual but until then i'll give it a go for ap with motor ra/dec motors.

Scott.

.Yeah Capricorn, i realise the mount is not ideal for ap and i am currently saving for an neq6 however circumstances have seen me return to oz for a while so it may be a while before the new mount comes. eventually the eq5 will be for visual but until then i'll give it a go for ap with motor ra/dec motors.

Scott.

thats what the previous post was ment to say :embarassed:

Archived