Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 latest attempt

Explorer 190 MN

This is my latest attempt at M42

This is only 36min of data from a one shot colour camera, unguided 45 sec exposures on a Edge 8 HD hyperstar system with a Atik 314L colour camera chilled to -15 flat and bias calibrated. Calibrated and stacked in Nebulosity and processed with pixinsight. I will add more data to this as the months go on at the moment M42 is visible for 15 mins from the back garden due to trees. I have recently ordered a mono 314L and LRGB filters along with Narrowband not sure how yet but I will make a combination of the lot and when I figure that out I wil try to make a mosaic of the Orion constellation. I have realy worked hard to pull as much detail from this as possible.

post-18812-0-51436700-1348268310_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Hi Olly thanks, its a work in progress and you are just the man I am looking for. ....

I intended on building a wide ish field setup this will consist of a Megrez 72 DGG with Atik 314L+ mono flter wheel and Edge 8 HD hyperstar with atik 314L+ colour and CLS filter.

But I thought I read somewhere something you wrote about aligning two scopes that they had to be paralific?? or something for the system to work?

Could you explain?

Can´t I just put one on top of the other?

Hi Olly thanks, its a work in progress and you are just the man I am looking for. ....

I intended on building a wide ish field setup this will consist of a Megrez 72 DGG with Atik 314L+ mono flter wheel and Edge 8 HD hyperstar with atik 314L+ colour and CLS filter.

But I thought I read somewhere something you wrote about aligning two scopes that they had to be paralific?? or something for the system to work?

Could you explain?

Can´t I just put one on top of the other?

What Yves and I tried to do was add a 7 inch fast Maksutove parallel with this scope, a 14 inch ODK.

YVES-S.jpg

We wanted to use the smaller one to collect RGB while the big one did luminance and narrowband. The mount could handle it and the big scope got round stars but the Mak never did. We think this was because a significant physical separation between the scopes and/or a tiny misalignment between them requires a polar alignent precision which we weren't able to achieve and we gave up. It turns out that others have found the same thing. It is easy to make two small scopes in parallel capture data together but two big ones seems to be a problem.

If you just want to use one scope or the other then none of this matters. You can piggyback the smaller scope, certainly.

Send me a PM if this isn't what you were asking.

Olly

Archived