Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thoughts on small AZ GOTOs for StellaCam live video astronomy?

ismangil

If I wanted a smallish simple setup for live viewing not for imaging, do you think getting the AZ GOTOs range reasonable?

And between 102 refractor, 127 Mak, 130 reflector, are there any preferences?

Judging from aperture and focal length only, for DSO viewing the 130p Newt seems reasonable?

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own post :-)

I decided to go with 130p AZ GOTO.

StellaCam EX focuses fine no problem.

Haven't used it on a proper sky yet, just my backyard.

Should be able to do more during Peak Star Party...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

• 4 months later...

(belatedly)

Alt-Azimuth mounts are fine with Video Cams. I sense the only requirement of any mount is that it be reasonably *steady* for the maximum integration time (10 sec)? Real time imaging isn't a problem. Except when the target moves out of field! :p

I have EVEN been impressed as to how good many "stacking" programs cope with longer exposures - Many (10s) frames - 20 minutes, even! Unlike an equatorial, Alt-Azimuth mounts don't move at an "even" rate though. Yet the odd rogue frame can be manually removed from the video file. Heck, it's probably possible to wide-field image with a fixed mount - A Dobsonian, basically! :)

I think it's what I LIKE about Video Astronomy. You can get quite reasonable results,

without worrying about (heavy!) mounts, guide scopes / expensive software etc.

Archived