NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7000

Roy@Aldermaston

This is my first image of the North American nebula, at least a small part of it - with my set-up it could be a good subject for a mosaic. The colour is quite pleasing, especially the blue haze around the brighter stars. That brings me to a question: the camera is unmodified and I was planning to remove just the IR cut filter (the one closest to the image sensor), but would the greater sensitivity in the red part of the spectrum mean that other subtle hues would be lost ?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

post-9429-0-49223100-1348132554_thumb.pn

Very nice Roy. Yeah, I also love the colours that are returned on many nebulae from an unmodded camera. Modding it would certainly wash them out with all that extra emission nebulosity shining through. I think in the long run, though, you will have more fun with a modded camera.

You can always change the colour balance if the red is coming through too much with a modded camera :) I usually do that - the image generally comes out with a magenta cast that needs a bit of correction. However, the extra sensitivity certainly helps - particularly wth emission nebulae.

Yes, I believe so :) It needs taking slowly and with patience - particularly removing the filters which are very thin glass and break easily. But if you're very careful it's "do-able". I have a spare modded camera I'm selling for anyone who would prefer one already done. See Classifieds. Actually, I'm going to reduce the price - I could do with some funds :D

Archived