NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentax Zoom

Hex

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax/pentax-xl-8-24mm-zoom.html

Excellent eyepiece. Sharp to the edges, a definate and positive zoom. This eyepiece covers the most useable range in most scopes and absolutely will not disappoint. I would rate Ethos higher in terms of field and clarity (I don't think any zoom can match a quality dedicated focal length eyepiece) but for me this is a very worthy alternate. You would not regret a purchase.

The 8-24mm is a good zoom, reasonable eye relief, sharp to the edges in my scopes. The anti-reflection coatings is good and internal refection is well controlled. it's a lot better then the old X-cel but not quite on par with top range eyepieces such as LVW or SW. The transmission is not as good as top quality primes either but again it's better than the average fixed eyepiece. The AFOV is a bit narrow at 24mm but otherwise it's not too much of a problem. The zoom ring is quite stiff, but this is expected for a sealed water proof eyepiece.

It's my favourite eyepiece and the one I use most often. It's strongest area is planets because I can easily find the optimum magnification between magnification and seeing. I don't know how it will compare to the your Xcel LX because I haven't use them. Based on reviews of certain TV against LVWs, I'd guess the fix focal length TV will be better in absolute image quality compare to this zoom. However, wide field TV are different types of eyepieces and you shouldn't compare a 40-60deg zoom with a 82/100 deg wide field. One give you extreme convenience with very good image, the other give you the space flight experience with some of the best image available on the market.

If you want to find a zoom that's better than the Pentax and will match the quality of a Ethos, Delos, or Nagler, you will need to look at the €700 Leica ASPH.

Archived