NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HELP!

long_arms

Hello, this is my first ever post on an astronomy forum so please excuse anything I do wrong or if this thread is in the wrong place.

I recently bought a standard heq5 mount for an absolute bargain second hand. It was in great condition, until the couriers got their hands on it that is.

There were a few scuffs and marks on arrival which I am not at all bothered about. However, the head of the small set screw on the RA setting circle has been sheared straight off!!

I know that worse things could happen but unsurprisingly I want to replace it.

Anyway, any ideas of how to remove it? Or is there a way to get to it from the underside?

I've attached a photo.

All suggestions welcome.

post-26081-0-99363400-1348069894_thumb.j

I would think a small bore drill in the centre and then drive a self tapping screw into it until you feel there's enough grip to overcome the original thread tightness (but don't overdo it so the original screw expands too tight). Then unscrew the whole lot, I can't imagine it will be that tight. Either that or get a special tool.

BEar in mind the mount casing is quite soft and where that screw is is a weak spot on the mount so go careful. You could try drifting it out, ie get a small screw driver and puch the screw round slowly. It shouldnt be in too tight. It may work.

If its really not too tight get a bit of blu tak and force it down on the screw and turn the blue tack. It may just work as well.

Unfortunately theres no way to get behind this from the other side.

Thanks again for the replies to this.

Astrobaby it seems I will have to go down the more technical route :( Btw your website is amazing, helped me so much when I was setting up the mount :D

For now I am going to leave it, and speak to some locals (find someone with a bit of experience).

Its so nice for a beginner like me to have a place like this where experts actually respond to my questions!

Perhaps in the future I'll have the knowhow to help someone out.

Many thanks,

Dan

Archived