Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Sketching - Yes, you CAN!

Many of my students shy away from sketching. "I have a camera for that!" and "I'm not an artist!" are often heard in the classroom. Even so, most people find that with a little practice, they can make a creditable sketch of lunar features. Sketching is very pleasing and gives us a record to take away from the eyepiece after a long night of observing.

We use a technique that I call the "Clock Method".

--> Imagine that the lunar surface is a clock face.

--> Start at 12:00. Add in only the general shapes.

--> Keep an eye on: a) how large the feature is B) How far from the center it is c) How the size compared to other nearby features.

Work your way around the clock, hour by hour, and you should have a very creditable sketch.

How do you know if you've succeeded? Check your drawing against a photo or atlas of the Moon. How many features you have drawn can be positively identified? I've attached a couple of lunar sketches I've put together from those submitted to me in class. None of these students have had astronomy before, and they have been with me only a few weeks.

If they can do it - so can you!

Dan

Lunar Sketches.doc

Lab Skills - Sketching with the Clock Method.doc

Those sketches are great! I like the annotations alongside - I'd probably be tempted to write "I tried my best" too! :grin: I'd like to try this activity with my school astro club too - these sketches will be very helpful to show them. Might even try it at home too :smiley:

I have spoken with some of the folks at Funderstanding.com about doing a 'How to Sketch the Moon' video. If I can get someone to produce it - I will post it here.

The actual clock method activity sheet is attached for eveyone - sorry, should have attached that earlier. :p

Like all the activities,it is "One-Page-Easy" and this one has circles pre-marked with 'hour lines' to help you practice sketching.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Dan

Lab Skills - Sketching with the Clock Method.doc

Archived