Caroline's Rose, dark site views.

cotterless45

Crystal sky and on the edge of the New Forest, nice.I ttok down the 200p Skyliner, which kept collimation on arrival...hurrah.

NGC7789 in Cassiopeia looked stunning with groups of stars in patterened dust lanes. I spent a long time on this wonderful cluster, which is hardly mentioned in most texts. It did indeed look like the petals of a rose from above.There is plenty here to occupy the eye.

There was a 3 degree ball like glow around the double cluster, which was a very bright area of the Milky Way. This I can only describe as steam like from Cygnus. All of the Loop , including the bright Eatern Veil were there at x30. There were signs of the whisperings as well. The North American and Pelican showed as dark areas to the left of Deneb.

Over to M33, which at the size of the full Moon was spotted easily by eye.Then over to Pegasus and the bright galaxies of C30(NGC7331),C44(ngc7479) below Markab and an elongate and bright C43 (NGC7814).

I had a look at M15 off Enif, which at x120 shows a distinct arrow shape.

M27 was glowing at x30. At x240 I noted several stars in the glow of the( brighter) base and one or two in the other end (visual top). I spent some time letting it drift across the field of view to get the focus pin sharp and with averted vision spotted a central faint star.

Jupiterwas then high enough to see clear bands and a moon right at the disc edge, nice.

By then the dew was setting in and eyepieces were kept warm in my front jacket pocket.

Altogether a mystical 6 hours . I had noted Capricornus to the south, but there was some glow from Fordingbridge/Ringwood.There was plenty darkness below Pegasus to see Pisces and Aquarius.

If you can get out to a dark site, the difference is stunning. The very best sight was Caroline's Rose,

Nick.

• 3 months later...

Crystal sky and on the edge of the New Forest, nice.I ttok down the 200p Skyliner, which kept collimation on arrival...hurrah.

NGC7789 in Cassiopeia looked stunning with groups of stars in patterened dust lanes. I spent a long time on this wonderful cluster, which is hardly mentioned in most texts. It did indeed look like the petals of a rose from above.There is plenty here to occupy the eye.

There was a 3 degree ball like glow around the double cluster, which was a very bright area of the Milky Way. This I can only describe as steam like from Cygnus. All of the Loop , including the bright Eatern Veil were there at x30. There were signs of the whisperings as well. The North American and Pelican showed as dark areas to the left of Deneb.

Over to M33, which at the size of the full Moon was spotted easily by eye.Then over to Pegasus and the bright galaxies of C30(NGC7331),C44(ngc7479) below Markab and an elongate and bright C43 (NGC7814).

I had a look at M15 off Enif, which at x120 shows a distinct arrow shape.

M27 was glowing at x30. At x240 I noted several stars in the glow of the( brighter) base and one or two in the other end (visual top). I spent some time letting it drift across the field of view to get the focus pin sharp and with averted vision spotted a central faint star.

Jupiterwas then high enough to see clear bands and a moon right at the disc edge, nice.

By then the dew was setting in and eyepieces were kept warm in my front jacket pocket.

Altogether a mystical 6 hours . I had noted Capricornus to the south, but there was some glow from Fordingbridge/Ringwood.There was plenty darkness below Pegasus to see Pisces and Aquarius.

If you can get out to a dark site, the difference is stunning. The very best sight was Caroline's Rose,

Nick.

I have been unlucky with every dark site visit until i found out that its the moon that I should avoid and not clouds :p

Your post is motivational.. I shall head off to a nice dark site probably in Peak district to enjoy the views I suppose!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been unlucky with every dark site visit until i found out that its the moon that I should avoid and not clouds :p

Your post is motivational.. I shall head off to a nice dark site probably in Peak district to enjoy the views I suppose!

Same here.. never understood why i couldn't see the milky way until agreed with my friends to meet at the astronomy centre where I was as usualy late but one of them came early and told us that he could see the milky way before we came as the moon hadn't come out yet!!

Dark sky sites are inspirational. I've been lucky to have seen pristine sky on Mull, Arran,Barra , Uists ,Galloway and Skye.

What is stunning is that the constellations can be so difficult to pick out from the mass of background stars. Best nights you'll get starlight on your hands and the glow of Northern Lights,

Nick.

Archived