NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deneb with a QHY5

steve_

Hi

I'm a newcomer to this forum. I'm Steve from the Isle of Wight.

I've just got started with spectroscopy and have been having at a go at the Summer triangle stars this week.

I was just wondering if anyone would mind having a look at my efforts and tell me where I'm going wrong. I've attached a spectrum of Deneb that I imaged using a QHY5, ED80 and a Star analyser. Not the most sensitive equipment I know but you've got to star somewhere. I used Vspec for the processing.

Many thanks for your time.

Steve.

post-14308-0-39280500-1347734582_thumb.j

Hi Steve,

I've not used vspec, I use rpsec, but your profile looks fairly similar to a version of Deneb I took in July.

I tried an ED80 to begin with but found it a little small so am now using a 5 inch mak/cas. Seems

you've started well and I look forward to seeing more results.

Kate

This is all excellent, im fascinated. From what I understand the dark lines are the absorption lines and you can tell the stars composition from them. What kit did you use to get this and is there any chance you could post your workflow ?

Regards

John Berman

Looks pretty good Steve, you might want to try another spectro app as well called Basic Astronomical Spectroscopy software, its free and very easy to use!

Cheers

Steve

Do you have a link to this please? A Google search doesn't seem to bring it up!

Thanks,

TheThing

Sorry should have left the link (It was getting late :laugh: ) Its in the Yahoo groups links section of Astrobodger (The writer of BASS!) here http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/astrobodger/links/BASS_Downloads_001343816509/BASS_0_1_0_4_001346283920/ . 0.1.0.4 is the latest version. II`ve just posted a screen shot of a profile I did of Gamma Cass using BASS. Very useful manual comes with it too .

Steve

Sorry should have left the link (It was getting late :laugh: ) Its in the Yahoo groups links section of Astrobodger (The writer of BASS!) here http://uk.groups.yah...01346283920/��. 0.1.0.4 is the latest version. II`ve just posted a screen shot of a profile I did of Gamma Cass using BASS. Very useful manual comes with it too .

Steve

Take Care,

This author of this program has taken a slightly unconventional approach to some aspects of spectrum processing rather than building on the procedures used in more established programs written by experienced spectroscopists eg ISIS, Visual Spec. I would recommend careful testing against established standards to ensure that it is doing what is required. See for example

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/162166-p-cyg-with-corrected-curve/

though this could of course be just finger trouble ;-)

Cheers

Robin

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm going in the right direction. Thanks for the link to the other software. I'm going to plod away with Vspec at the moment though as it does quite a lot of cool stuff that I'm starting to get used to.

Cheers

Steve.

Archived