NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got some free goodies...

Ganymede12

During a recent meet with the other members of the South Wales group I was given some free goodies :hello2:

Mike (L8-Nite) gave me a 6.3mm Plossl and Grahame (GJBC) gave me 11 filters, a 2X Barlow lens, a ND filter, a 10mm erecting EP and 13 colour filters :eek:

So first of all Thank you very much! I can't thank you enough!

Secondly, some questions.

Here's the filters:

Filters

Filter 1

Filter 2

Filter 3

Filter 4

Filter 6

Filter 7

Filter 8

Filter 9

Filter 10

Filter 11

(the 2 not shown are mead 4000 series)

And here's my EP's + extension tube:

EP's

Now the questions...

Other than allowing me to use more filters at once, what does the extension tube do?

The 10mm Erecting EP has a larger lens than my standard 10mm, does this mean there is a larger field of view?

I realised that the filters can be stacked together. Are there any combinations that work particularly well?

What Filters are best suited to what objects? (according to TLAO a red is good for Mars and a blue is good for Venus and Jupiter but which red and which blue!)

(Again, thank you Mike and Grahame for the stuff! :))

Hi there, the plastic extension tube comes with the 10mm erecting eyepiece, not sure of its exact purpose but I have often seen it together on telescopes for sale as sellers think a telescope looks more impressive if it has an extended viewing tube. I have this combination somewhere but not sure where so can't check out its purpose. On the colour filters, I prefer not to use them, howerver I do use filters when veiwing the sun in 'white light' (used in combination with a full aperture solar filter). There is a list on this web page what each is best for: http://www.lumiconfilters.com/filter-spec.php

What many commentaters suggest is that you experiment with them and see what your preferences are. As you have already recognised, yes, they can be stacked. Again, experimentation is the key. A larger eye-lens does not necessarily mean a larger field of view, it depends on the field-stop diameter (the bottom bit, where the light or image enters).

Hope this helps a bit.

Archived