Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Silica gel?

Stormwatch

Does anyone store their scope or eyepieces with silica gel? I noticed it for sale on one of the astro shops websites (can't remember which one) and sometimes EPs come with it in the box.

Is it worth putting a little sachet in my EP case and the C8's hard case to soak up any stray dew?

I have a sachet in every ep box plus about 6 scattered around my aluminium storage case.I get them from deliveries at my work,guy in the store saves them for me ,some weeks i get a few ,others i end up with dozens so i just keep replacing them every couple of months.

It can do no harm anyway.

I have a sachet in every ep box plus about 6 scattered around my aluminium storage case.I get them from deliveries at my work,guy in the store saves them for me ,some weeks i get a few ,others i end up with dozens so i just keep replacing them every couple of months.

It can do no harm anyway.

That's what I figure. I'll have to start collecting them when the wife buys new shoes. Should have a load of them by next week then. ;)

Its difficult, if not almost impossible to tell (by looking) when basic white Silica Gel has absorbed all of the moisture that its capable of, and depending how long the little bags that you collect, have been exposed to the atmosphere, and how much moisture content there was in it, they may have ceased being effective long ago.

At one time Silica Gel was coloured blue, with something like the chemical Cobalt Blue I think, and this would turn pink, when it had absorbed all of the moisture it could.

However, the chemical used to colour the Silica Gel, was deemed to be toxic, and its use discontinued.

Once fully moisture absorbed, Silica Gel can be returned to its desiccated state, by drying it out with heat.

Dave

Archived