Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Cheap power supply for EQ5 Tracking motors

pel

Morning guys ,

Now I have started imaging again after the summer break, I am starting to go through the batteries for my EQ5 tracking motors. What adapters have you guys bought to power the motors?

Thansk, Perry.

I went down the "bodge it" route for this. I never through "wall-wart" transformers away when the equipment they power has died, so I found one that gave a reliable 6V at 1A, swapped the plug for one that fitted the hand controller input and Robert was indeed my mother's brother.

I've also used them for my polar scope illuminator and so on, though in that case I wasn't so fussy about using one that had a properly regulated output.

James

The main thing is getting the voltage right :)

If you have one that can't supply enough current, my experience is that the hand controller just won't work reliably.

James

I'm not brilliant with electronics but I think even I can work out that 4 x 1.5v = 6v :smiley:

Yes :) I guess my point is that if you get too high a voltage that can kill the controller and some of the unregulated supplies that claim to be 6V are quite variable, so it's wise to check the voltage with a meter first.

James

This: http://www.amazon.co...7114402&sr=1-33 is the sort of thing you need - your mount motors are 6v and draw 1A when tracking but up to 2A in fast slew so a 1A supply won't be good enough. The one above will put out 3.7A max and is regulated.

Thanks Roger, a bit expensive on Amazon it seems, I'll have a look around and hopefully find one cheaper

Perry.

Yes :) I guess my point is that if you get too high a voltage that can kill the controller and some of the unregulated supplies that claim to be 6V are quite variable, so it's wise to check the voltage with a meter first.

James

Thanks James, I'll check it on my multi-meter.

This: http://www.amazon.co...7114402&sr=1-33 is the sort of thing you need - your mount motors are 6v and draw 1A when tracking but up to 2A in fast slew so a 1A supply won't be good enough. The one above will put out 3.7A max and is regulated.

Are we talking about the same motors here? I was assuming the OP meant the external after-market ones that come with the 2x/4x/8x switch on the handset. I was sure those only drew about 350mA each, but if it's not that one then I'd definitely agree with you. Not that having a higher rating is liable to cause any problems in any case.

James

Are we talking about the same motors here? I was assuming the OP meant the external after-market ones that come with the 2x/4x/8x switch on the handset. I was sure those only drew about 350mA each, but if it's not that one then I'd definitely agree with you. Not that having a higher rating is liable to cause any problems in any case.

James

Yes the add-on motors for tracking with a EQ5.

Archived