NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Somerset

Gene

We don't have to travel too far out of town for dark sky sites.

Had a fantastic view of the Persieds on top of the Quantocks in August.

By the way, my FirstScope-O-Meter is currently swinging towards a 127mm refractor.

Something like the Bresser Messier R127L (good rexiews in the mags).

I'm thinking lunar/planetary/solar system observing will be keep me more than busy.

Not that there's any danger of that sort of money being spent for a good few months yet.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a barlow and some moon filters first - to go with the local AS 6" reflector that lives in my shed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gene,

Welcome to SGL !

I'm based at Portishead, North Somerset so not far from you :D

There's a few of us West Country folks on the forum now.

Don't rush your choice of scope - if anything prices have been coming down over the past couple of years. And don't forget the used market - if you buy sensibly and decide it's not quite what you wanted you can usually sell on with little loss.

John

• 1 month later...

Just an update to say that I have now bought a telesope all of my very own!

I was going to wait and save, and then save some more to get a nice 127mm refractor, but a work colleague decided to sell his 11 month Celestron Firstscope 114 EQ Short Reflector for a knockdown price.

Sounds like the familiar story where his wife bought it for him last Christmas after she noticed him taking an interest in the night sky (my enthusiasm obviusly rubbed off).

But he when he did find the time to get outside, he was the typical 'cold and confused' newbie.

Anyway... my gain.

Still getting to grips with the EQ mount as til now I've had the use of the local AS 6" Newtonian on an Alt-Az.

I've got thermals, eyepieces and filters on my Chistmas list (the Celestron EP set looks good).

Archived