Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milkyway widefield from the Dordogne

Just got back from a holiday in the Dordogne region in france ... a few shots of the Milkyway which was easily visible with the naked eye most nights - truly beautifiul...

Canon EOS 60D, standard 18mm-55mm kit lens, 4x 20sec exposures stacked in DSS

Processed2.jpg

Processed3.jpg

Processed1.jpg

We were discussing field of view in another thread recently. I think we decided that the kit lens at 18mm on a crop sensor has a field of view of 76 degrees across the diagonal. I tried measuring it off one of my own wide field images and it certainly seemed reasonable. The only real irritation is that there's a fair bit of distortion around the edges of the image.

James

Nice shots, was this on 18mm? I didn't realise the standard lens had quite a good FOV as shown in your images, I love the 3rd one, nice and contrasty with loads of detail :)

Thanks - and yes - the standard 18-55 kit lens - but quite an old one that came originally with an olde EOS 300D - so pre-ImageStabilisation & I'm guessing ~8 years old I don't think it was at 18mm specifically - I might have zoomed in a little to get some framing with the house ... so I'm guessing it was around 25-30mm.

Mike

Archived