Help picking 1st scope & couple questions

Been really interested in space lately and have been addicted to watching videos about it, so thought it was about time i get a scope and look at it myself

http://www.microglob...ope-p-8455.html

http://www.microglob...ope-p-8421.html

Questions

Are any of these good telescopes and what would i expect to see out of them?

would it be something similar to this but a clearer?

112197349.Sx9Fv5dK.2440056808_cd92f2d418_o.jpg

jupiter_autoclub.jpg

Do you see these planets with your eye up to the telescope or do you have to take a picture with a webcam to get it clear?

why do i keep reading about webcams, are webcams just so you can show off what you have found?

Can you see galaxies like this or do you have to take a picture with the webcam do see it?

m74_12dec09_28x240_102ed_s.jpg

thanks

Both of those telescopes are a good buy.

The pics you have posted would be seen visually (looking into the eyepiece)...........

Saturn, in good conditions, smaller but sharper, with Titan (Saturn's largest moon) as an obvious dot of light, maybe one or two of the fainter moons.

Jupiter, in good conditions, smaller but sharper, less colour, four moons as obvious dots of light, shadow transits of the moons.

The galaxy, not like that pic I'm afraid, most galaxies will look like a faint smudge in modest apertures. I have just about seen spiral arms in M51 through an 8" reflector in excellent conditions from a dark site, but not as obviously as that pic. To see galaxies visually like that needs a large aperture and very good conditions. Maybe a 20" scope would do it.

HTH, Ed.

I'm saving up for a Skyliner 200P. It's cheap and gives really good views.

Webcams don't give views that are as good as what you see but SLR and DSLR images show much more detail than your eye.

Ah right thanks

so basically people are just wanting to show others what they have seen by taking a picture through their webcam

Both of those telescopes are a good buy.

The pics you have posted would be seen visually (looking into the eyepiece)...........

Saturn, in good conditions, smaller but sharper, with Titan (Saturn's largest moon) as an obvious dot of light, maybe one or two of the fainter moons.

Jupiter, in good conditions, smaller but sharper, less colour, four moons as obvious dots of light, shadow transits of the moons.

The galaxy, not like that pic I'm afraid, most galaxies will look like a faint smudge in modest apertures. I have just about seen spiral arms in M51 through an 8" reflector in excellent conditions from a dark site, but not as obviously as that pic. To see galaxies visually like that needs a large aperture and very good conditions. Maybe a 20" scope would do it.

HTH, Ed.

Thanks good post

Is there anything else i could see through the skyliner 200P? comets? nebula?

I would recommend a minimum aperture of 8" or 200mm for a reflector for the views you are hoping to capture. A webcam is perfectly capable of taking those planet shots and better. The galaxy shot could be achieved on an LX modified webcam. The only webcams successfully modded for long exposure (LX) is the SPC900NC this is why they tend to be expensive to buy second hand. Though a few new and un modded versions have recently become available imported from Malaysia these can be picked up for £40-£60 and there are sites that describe how to modify them. Is Galaxies and deep space is your aim then go for an equatorial mount the best you can afford

O Yes, loads more :laugh:

An 8" scope is great, suits a beginner, and could be a lifetime scope too. Most of us (me included) will never exhaust what such a scope is capable of.

To get the best out of a telescope needs patience and enthusiasm, a willingness to sacrifice sleep, get out there when it's not convenient, make the most of a clear night.

But it's worth it for sure.

Forgot to say 'welcome to SGL'

Regards, Ed.

Hi and welcome to SGL

The Skyliner 200P is a popular scope as its a good all-rounder and gives good views of planets and stars, and very good views of deep sky objects (galaxies, clusters, nebulae, comets). What you see will be dictated by other factors such as seeing conditions, light pollution, eyepiece type and quality, and a number of other non-telescope factors. Also, the Skyliner 200P is a Dobsonian design so is good for visual use. If you wamted to do imaging you would need a driven mount (either tracking or GOTO) and either a webcam, DSLR or CCD setup. Have a look in the imaging section to see what kit the imagers and astrophotographers use.

HTH!

I doubt if you'd see the picture of Jupiter in that much detail. You would require very good seeing and the band probably wouldn't as distinct as in the picture. I have a 250px and have seen some good detail on Jupiter but nothing as good as that picture visually.

Simon

You can't go wrong with either of those scopes. But you'll struggle to see anything like those images with the supplied eyepieces. First you'll need to learn how to use the scope to find stuff in the sky, and then which eyepiece to use to view what you find.

You'll also need an understanding of the "seeing" - ie the conditions under which astronomy with a scope is possible and what to expect. Not meaning to rain on your enthusiasm but there will be a modest learning curve that requires considerable patience and dedication.

That said - the rewards can be thrilling once you know what you're doing. My first scope was a 150P on EQ mount and I also currently have a 200P Dob like those you linked to. Both very capable beginner to intermediate scopes that will eventually yeild views "close" to but not "exactly like" your pics. But bear in mind the human eye can't see everything a camera can. :)

+1 for the 200p. I started with one 3 years ago and I'm still happy with it.

Currently saving for a 16" scope but will keep the 8" for quick sessions. Regarding the images the planets are close enough, they do look smaller but sharper on good nights and with patience you can see moon transits and other activity. Galaxies are the hardest objects to see so you can expect less detail. Star clusters, such as M13, will look pretty much as in the photos and some nebulae are nice too.

"You'll also need an understanding of the "seeing" - ie the conditions under which astronomy with a scope is possible and what to expect. Not meaning to rain on your enthusiasm but there will be a modest learning curve that requires considerable patience and dedication."

I agree with you. I would hate UKLee to be disappointed expecting to see something approaching those every time he looks through his scope.

However if you can pare back your expectations and perservere this hobby can be a real joy.

Simon

Archived