NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you help source a black "solar" eyepiece filter?

jamespels

(mods - not sure if this is the best place for this so please move it if necessary; I don't want to limit it to classifieds unless I have to, though :) )

Hi all,

I need one of those dreadful black eyepiece filters that used to be sold for solar observing. This is for an Astronomy Day demonstration at PSP2012 where we want to show how you can safely observe the sun and what you should not do - these EP filters falling firmly into the latter category.

The intention is to set up a scope with one of these filters, SAFELY away from onlookers, and hopefully have it crack so people can see for themselves why they shouldn't use them. Even if the filter doesn't actually break, we will be able to show how hot it gets. Alongside this demo, we will have safe set-ups, including bins and scopes with solar film, solar EP projection and PSTs. We will be recording the whole demonstration and will make the resulting video publicly available (happy to post on here if SGL are up for it). I know vids of these filters breaking already exist but we really want to show it live if we can.

So, do any of you have one of these filters you don't mind getting trashed?

Thanks,

James.

Concern of doing this is that you show they are available and someone will decide that theirs will not break, especially if yours does not actually do so.

How about you hold one up and say you can by these "solar filters" then someone gets distracted, dragged away. or spoken to and never hears "Don't ever consider using one!"

I will bet that people present at the start will not all be present at the end, if it cracks, so will not see the consequences. If it doesn't break they see a demonstration of them in use and being OK.

I always recall a saying: Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback - we will be starting with why not to use something like the EP filter - I am hoping my father-in-law (opthalmic optician) will be able to find some photos of eyes that have been burned by the sun and we won't run the demo if it is hazy with no chance of warming it up or cracking it. The whole point of this is to promote safety and show the joy of solar observing done correctly - not push dodgy practices.

J.

Archived