1st steps in AP

Good Morning all,

I'd like to take a few photos of the sky, and was going to begin using my DSLR (a sony a200) and a solid mount. Previous pictures have been of the sun and moon, neither of which need a very steady mount. I've been looking at an HEQ5, but how would I go about attaching my camera to the mount?

Thanks

NM

I would assume a simpe dovetail on the camera to mate with the mount.

I presume that the mount at least has a set of motors on it.

Will say that a dark site is also significant:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5385471/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

As far as I can tell these were taken without a driven mount, basically a camera on a tripod.

Locate the post about 3/4 down the first page.

Gives an idea of what can be achieved but I suspect the guy had more experience then most.

If you are thinking about venturing into AP, even if just with a camera on a mount, then a good starting point is the book 'Making Every Photon count' listed on the FLO site under the 'books' tab. It does show you how to get the results without using a telescope and also there are pictures showing you how you can get the camera onto the mount. This is an invaluable read for anyone starting off in AP.

Archived