Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter; using cloud as a filter

username

I has a look at Jupiter last night after I'd finished with the moon. This was about at 0030 so it wasn't as high in the sky as I would like but the seeing was surprisingly good so kept with it rather than contemplating another 3am wake up :)

It was quite cloudy but it was that high level thin cloud and you could still see Jupiter with the naked eye but it looked like a bright star rather than a planet. Soon the gaps in the clouds disappeared but I was surprised at how much detail I could see through the cloud. The belts were much more contrasted and I could see that they weren't just straight lines but sort of lumpy in places. I must say that I find it hard to see detail on Jupiter sometimes due to the brightness of it. I would have waited for the GRS but had to be up at a decent time this morning..

Does anyone else have the same experience as me or am I mad doing astronomy through clouds??

It got me thinking about maybe getting some filters which I've been staying away from due to the aperture of my scope

Interesting. One of my best ever views of Jupiter was through fog and thin high cloud a couple of years ago. The seeing was perfect and the lack of glare meant that the detail on the planet was truly unbelieveable.

Not sure a filter would necessarily help, though, as the main contributory factor was the exceptional seeing due the weather conditions .

Great way to make the most of the weather. I did view it recently in the same conditions, but it was just blurred for me. Still very bright though, so I will try next time with a polorising filter. The one I use for the moon.

High thin cloud is often the result of very stable atmospheric conditions. Slightly hazy autumn nights are often the best for planets. Observing Jupiter is a matter of patience (Mars is even worse in that respect). You really need to relax and take your time at the eyepiece, and wait for the moments of superb seeing that can occur even in bad nights. As with everything in this hobby, it is a matter of experience

Interesting. One of my best ever views of Jupiter was through fog and thin high cloud a couple of years ago. The seeing was perfect and the lack of glare meant that the detail on the planet was truly unbelieveable.

Not sure a filter would necessarily help, though, as the main contributory factor was the exceptional seeing due the weather conditions .

I was really surprised with the view too but I see what you mean, that the seeing was the determining factor. It was easier on the eye through the fog though if that makes sense.

Great way to make the most of the weather. I did view it recently in the same conditions, but it was just blurred for me. Still very bright though, so I will try next time with a polorising filter. The one I use for the moon.

Haven't had time for much astronomy recently so had to make the time, cloud or not :D. The seeing was the best I've seen it in ages (absolute rubbish for weeks). I've been toying with the idea of getting some light colour filters or maybe a neodynium one to enhance some contrast on jupiter but I haven't wanted to part with cash because my aperture doesn't let in the most light so don't want to block any of it out. Should just make the leap and give it a test though.

High thin cloud is often the result of very stable atmospheric conditions. Slightly hazy autumn nights are often the best for planets. Observing Jupiter is a matter of patience (Mars is even worse in that respect). You really need to relax and take your time at the eyepiece, and wait for the moments of superb seeing that can occur even in bad nights. As with everything in this hobby, it is a matter of experience

Everyday's a school day. I didn't know that but makes sense re the cloud. I've been getting better at sitting at the eyepiece with this scope (it's much more fun to use than the tasco I had as a kid - the mount killed the fun there). Next purchase will be an RA motor I think.

MIght try and see if I can get up early tomorrow for the GRS before work, the forecast is the same :)

MIght try and see if I can get up early tomorrow for the GRS before work, the forecast is the same :)

Wasn't exactly the same cloud this morning and Jupiter has been sat behind this thick big cloud that's not moving above orion so not sure if I'll bag the GRS this morning. Got some time on Venus and M42 though

Archived