Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wide field eyepiece choice.

Earl

I have a Tak 60 arriving next week which i will use for imaging guiding but also want to do a bit of wide field filtered observing.

I know very little about this so, which filter and which EP 1.25" as i believe the scope cant take a 2 inch.

The TV Plossl gives the widest possible FOV in a 1.25 EP so I reckon you have what you need.

An FS60 for guiding, eh? Won the lottery, have we??? :grin:

I bet you just didn't want some tatty thing letting the side down on the new baby, eh? Quite right too. Mine looks a disgrace!

Olly

also want to do a bit of wide field filtered observing.

........... which EP 1.25" as i believe the scope cant take a 2 inch.

Well it's a matter of opinion as always, but for low power wide field in 1.25" fit the TeleVue Panoptic 24mm is a favourite. Gives the same amount of true field as your 32mm Plossl, but at a higher power and darker background.

If you use glasses to observe, the the Vixen LVW 22mm has a nice 20mm eyerelief, and not a lot of difference with magnification and true field. Less money than the Pan too.

A filter is more difficult, depends what you expect it to do. With the modest aperture, I'd be using a UHC for ( specific targets only ) like the Veil, M27 etc.

All the best with your nice little Tak, just so cute :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

The TV Plossl gives the widest possible FOV in a 1.25 EP so I reckon you have what you need.

An FS60 for guiding, eh? Won the lottery, have we??? :grin:

I bet you just didn't want some tatty thing letting the side down on the new baby, eh? Quite right too. Mine looks a disgrace!

Olly

LOL I wish on the lottery win, I figure with a 60 and an 85 i have all the widefield options covered and either can guide each other.

I do find the plossl is a little awkward to get a good view in as your eye needs to be spot on, any reason for this, and would i get the same with another eyepiece?

The 32mm TV Plossl (and most other 32mm Plossls) have a very long eyerelief, a bit too long for some. You need to hold your eye away from the EP to avoid shadows protruding into the field of view. Takes a bit of practice at first. Not a fault, just a characteristic of a very low power EP. TV make an eyepiece extender to sort that issue. If you wear specs to observe, the very long eyerelief is good.

Regards, Ed.

Archived