Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LXD75

Dave79

I have the 10 inch SNT on an LXD75 mount. It seems to accurately goto objects and tracks unguided for several minutes. The only astrophotography I do is short exposures so perhaps others feel that the EQ6 is needed for improved photography. Other people have said that the mount can't handle the 10 inch SN but I have been reasonably pleased with its performance. Admittedly the mount casting did fracture recently but that could be down to my misuse of it (turning the OTA without slackening the bolts) but I had it repaired and it now seems to perform as before. I think I may have bought the EQ6 if the LXD75 had been unrepairable but perhaps there is no alternative.

Cheers Pete

I am soooo jealous Pete. How old is yours? I bought mine new in 2005.

The problem I've got is a ridiculous amount of backlash. I've tried everything I can but can't sort it. I might take it to a shop so they can't take it apart and do something with the gears. I need to get it sorted before Kielder coz I don't want to risk taking it in the hope someone can sort it and no one can.

Thanks Pete, it's nice to talk to someone with the same scope.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to get the NEQ-6, once I've convinced myself that I can afford it. How Meade ever got away with hoisting the 10" SNT onto their LXD-75 is beyond me, mine creaks and groans and often needs a wee push or else it stalls out and I have to re-set it. I'll use the LXD for a lighter scope, and put the NEQ-6 in the observatory.

Archived