NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

just a curious question

sam mayo

i have been browsing eps ours and american web sites for a while and wasnt sure about these havent seen some like it b4 sorry if a stupid q still a novice(another word for me being a bit slow)

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-eyepieces/125-inch-eyepieces/explorescientific82degreeseriesnitrogenpurgedwaterprooftelescopeeyepieces.cfm

The ES eyepieces are supposed to be very good. I need a good new wide eyepiece because my new dob will not live happily with the 32mm plossl that I've been using up to now and I think the ES eps are worth serious consideration.

James

Direct purpose? Depends what you mean :D

The 82 degree eyepiece revolution was started off by Al Nagler (as I understand it) back in the '80s and give a nice wide view through the eyepiece. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the main advanatages is/was that it gave a much wider (and well corrected) FOV compared to other EPs of the time the consequence of which is/was more useful to undriven scopes since it shows you more sky at once - Dobs for example, where you need to nudge it when an object reaches the edge of the FOV...it gives you more time between nudges.

There have been/are other 80-or-so degree EPs in recent years, from Antares, Meade and others (some of which appear to be the same but rebranded). The ES82 is decent alternative to a Nagler at a fraction of the price (as little as 1/3 during the sales). They might not be as good as the Nagler, but it's a good taste of wider things at an accessible price.

I now have 4 of them that I use with my SCTs... while I use goto, the long focal length of the SCT means it's otherwise quite a narrow view with other EP designs, so I find the 82 degree shows a nice piece of sky.

Archived