Drift Aligning on a Sunspot

I know that some people do this when there's no alternative, like when you've had no clear night-time sky for weeks and want to do some solar imaging.

Does it work exactly the same as for drift-aligning on distant stars, given that you don't have much choice about what you get to align on and that you can't chose different stars for alignment?

James

Trial and error , I shot early in the morning and treated it like a star in the East , then again at 1pm and treated it as a star in the south , adjusting accordingly.

Didn't go over the top with it as I use the EQ3-2 for my solar shots and it's got no dedicated solar tracking rate so you still get a little drifting but nothing un-tweakable on the handset.

To keep the disc central I bring up "Mire de Collimation" and pop it over the disc in the Quick Preview box , easier to see the drift that way , I use a 1.8 x Barlow and it doesn't leave much "wiggle room" above and below the disc to the edge of the frame.

Steve.

Archived