SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

View of North American Nebula through 120mm refractor

trevboyd

After seeing some very nice looking images of the NA nebula on here, I thought I'd have a go at looking for it. Stellarium makes it look very easy to find, just beside Deneb. So I pointed my scope in that general direction and had a pan around. Nothing to see except a lot of stars (which are very nice in themselves)

So my question is, what should I expect to see? Is it only really visible in photographs? If so, I'll have to have a go... ;)

I've previously found the Ring and Dumbell Nebula with no significant problems.

TIA

Trev

Trev,

The NA nebula is huge and is larger than your field of view hence is tricky to see. If you have a filter such as a UHC filter that might help. Due to its size though you're not going to get the whole thing in one field of view.

James

Thanks everyone for your quick replies! I did suspect that it was maybe too large, making it impossible to spot. I need to go and find out the difference between planetary and emission nebulae now - sounds interesting. I'm definitely going to invest in some filters at some point, so a UHC one sounds like one to add to the list!

Thanks again - I appreciate you taking the time to answer newbie questions!

Trev

While you are looking in that part of the sky you might try and pick out the Veil Nebula which is also in Cygnus. It's a sort of faint arc of nebulosity and the 2 brightest parts are NGC6992 and NGC6960. I've been able to spot the brighter of these (6992) with an 80mm scope on a good night using a UHC-S filter and a good star guide. They are big objects but not as big as the NA Nebula so use your lowest power. Even the brightest parts are faint but it was quite a thrill to see them, albeit faintly, with my own eyes after looking at pictures of them for years.

John

Thanks again everyone.

My lowest power eyepiece is 25mm, so after looking at your chart Greg, I see why I never noticed it before - I'd only be looking at a fraction of that field.

I think I'll wait until I have a UHC filter and then look for the Veil. I'm thinking of getting a UHC and "Baader Contrast Booster" - they look like they'd help me out from my light polluted back garden. Out of interest, where do they fit in the scope?

Thanks again

Trev

Archived