Help please!

Hello stargazers,

I hope to visit Surprise View this coming friday or the following friday night depending on the weather and my work schedule. I'm going with my girlfirend and I hope to propose to her under the stars.

Can anyone tell me if there are an array of stars that can be seen with the naked eye (i dont have a telescope!!!). and also does anyone know what part of the milky way (if any) will be visible. Maybe a website which might help me. i dont really want to turn up and find i needed to have brought a telescope.

Your help is much appreciated in advance :) :)

happy stargazing

Good luck! But I don't know what you mean by "an array of stars"

If you go somewhere where it's dark and away from light pollution then the Milky Way will be over head and the view will be dramatic. No telescope needed. If it's a really dark site then it will be so dramatic you will pooh your pants. Again, no telescope needed.

Hi, as suggested download Stellarium. Change the location to where you hope to be when you propose, wind the date/time on to the approximate time when you hope to be there and you should get the view of the sky as you will see it on the day, assuming it's clear that is!

I agree with Umadog, if it's dark enough the Milky Way will be overhead and it's a most amazing sight

I saw it recently from a caravan park which had a bit of local light pollution in the south west. A quick look on google maps suggests that Surprise View may have even less light pollution than where I was.

You won't need a telescope to see it weave through the stars. Just take a blanket, lie down and wait for your eyes to adapt :)

Good luck!

Archived