The Soul Nebula.

ollypenrice

Well done Olly,

Nice color and contrast.

On a full size image stars in the left bottom look somewhat elongated. Is it coma or something else?

Mark

Well spotted. Not sure yet. It could be chip distance or tilt. I'm working on it...

I was looking forward to this one, and you never disappoint :)

Great resolution you get considering the aperture! You seem to process for more contrast recently, am I wrong?

Yes, I think I'm getting Creeping Americanism in my style!! I'd better watch it! Yves tends to push a bit harder than I do and is influencing me. By this stage in the dark time, with so much imaging going on, I also get a bit disorientated, visually. Time for a little reflection and moderation, methinks...

Olly

Brilliant! Are you using the DSE script in PI or how is the contrast achieved? I love it btw! Anyone can get the blackness - it's called clipping the data haha, this one on the other hand retains all that is interesting with the scene. Thans the gentle backdrop I think it works a treat to go for a process like this - for those of you who can.

If you answer 'black magic' to my question btw I'd believe you! :grin:

Lovely shot, I'm starting to see that processing style change too. Very contrastry, might need a bit more colour to balance it. Mayeb there was a bad star trailing pic in the stack. Nothing wrong with the stars in the upper part of the pic.

T.

Brilliant! Are you using the DSE script in PI or how is the contrast achieved? I love it btw! Anyone can get the blackness - it's called clipping the data haha, this one on the other hand retains all that is interesting with the scene. Thans the gentle backdrop I think it works a treat to go for a process like this - for those of you who can.

If you answer 'black magic' to my question btw I'd believe you! :grin:

I'm very careful not to black clip, of course. Most of this contrast comes from the Ha layer, which is contrasty anyway. I also use Noel's Local Contrast tool and my own little kinks in the curve. For Noel it is vital to leave lots of room to the left of the peak in the histogram or the routine will clip. I find thiese heavily Ha dominated HaRGB images very hard to process.

Olly

I'm very careful not to black clip, of course.

Needless to say - leave that to me to clip away :grin:

Most of this contrast comes from the Ha layer, which is contrasty anyway.

Gives me some hope for a mono future up here, especially for the deep penetrating Ha...

I also use Noel's Local Contrast tool and my own little kinks in the curve.

Is this recently renamed? I got a PS plugin that I believe is what used to be Noels Actions but have not yet really tried it out - I think you need good quality data for these routines to come alive. The curve: Steep start - quite an early shallow line?

I find these heavily Ha dominated HaRGB images very hard to process.

Hmm.... You'll get the hang of it :p . It looks like you're enjoying it Olly - I reckon you've spent a good few hours ironing the Heart and Soul out - with spectacular result. I think the marked contrast is very interesting - a total departure from bubblegum saturated colours, just an enhancement of what is actually there. It really works - especially with the subtle, really rather soft background.

PS Hope to visit again soon.

Archived