Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee2 Counterweight shaft

Woking

I want to extend the existing counterweight shaft or replace with a longer one.

Does anybody know the best way of going about this? I'm assuming that the skytee shaft is EQ5 version? but the only extension shafts I've found on the web are the EQ6 variety and the complete replacements are extra long which I don't want.

I don't need it to be super long, just enough to better balance my 120ED on the top saddle as adding more counterweights is'nt really possible (will keep clashing with az knobs).

Unless I'm observing objects just above the horizon, I can't see a longer shaft clashing with the tripod legs.......I maybe completely wrong though :rolleyes:

cheers!

oh and is there a difference between the SW shafts for EQ5 or EQ6? is it a different thread or something?

SW counterweights don't appear to be mount specific so not sure what difference there'd be

I've got the 1.8 kg + 3.4 kg (eq3-2) counterweights, so already using up 70mm of the shaft and close enough to the az knobs.

With the moonlite it's just got too heavy to balance I reckon, not that it was perfect before.

Be good to try next time we're up at RC.

Where can you get the 2.5 from? I'll look it up on the web

Ah I see, would advise the 5k then plus one or both of those others u already have, I need some more too as mine doesn't balance either (without moonlite)! Welcome to try it when next out just in case other option would better suit

It's worth a go, at least we have enough weights between us to check both scopes balance.

Still think it might need a longer shaft to avoid the extra weight clashing with the az knobs. I've picked up and moved the whole mount and scope a few times already to avoid this and one day it's all going to crash to the ground if I'm not careful!

Archived