SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Ed80 focal reducer/flattener?

Hello!

I have just bought a used Skywatcher ed80 and am looking for a ff/fr.

I know skywatcher has one that is 0.85 and thats f6.38

Is there any faster alternatives that work good? F6.38 is faster than my old 130/900 f6.9 Newton but not much.

Any thoughts appreciated! Oh, using a Nikon D5000 atm.

Olle

The Williams .8 III works ok, but does have squareish stars in the corners.

FLO have them on special at present.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/william-optics-08x-reducer-2011.html

I have been unable to get the Televue TRF to work with my ED80, the Williams with its issue is the best I have personally got, It is worth looking at the sky watcher specific one.

Thanks for your answers

Abit hard to see the quality of the stars in the corners when i look on my old HTC legend phone,(cant get to a pc atm) but it doesnt look too bad is it? And its cheaper than the skywatcher and slightly faster too.

Anyone tried the Ikharos 0.8 fr/ff on an ed 80? Or any other fr/ff?

Olle

Olle,

I would be careful using a non-SkyWatcher flattener with the ED80. As mentioned some have had problems trying to flatten and reduce in one go, especially with non-SW kit. See:

http://www.caroleastronomy.webspace.virginmedia.com/page3.html

I believe the culprit was a WO FR/FR and produced diamond shaped stars at the edges of the field.

Also, spacing and focusing become very critical.

Personally I'd stick with the SW 0.85 FR.

Good luck,

D

Ok Thanks everyone looks like the safest bet is the skywatcher ff/fr.

Would've been nice with some options to get diffrent focal ratios, but i go with the safest choice now to avoid problems.

Of to find the best price,

Oh how can view the classifieds BigBlueOne? And what adapter is that do i need it?

Olle

You need 50 posts to view classifieds to get posting just say wow nice image a few times and you'll be there ;)

Also you can't see it using tapatalk or such you have to view it in a proper browser

Archived