Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Final help before I buy my Scope!

Hi All!

I currently have a Celestron TravelScope 70 and am very happy with it. I have been looking for a 'proper' scope for the last 6 weeks or so and have a budget of £300 max. In fact, my other half is getting it for me for my birthday on 1st Sept, so there is no leeway in that!

I think I will be doing spontaneous planetary viewing and some of the main Messier's. Maybe some some very amateur Astrophotography thrown in - more to show others what I have seen than to win awards! No more than a few seconds exposure and I know a MD can be added to most scopes.

So here is the dilemma. I thought I had it sorted with a Skywatcher 150p on an EQ3-2 mount. (£296). I thought i could add the GOTO/MD later and that was the scope for me. The last few days I have been wondering if the Skywatcher 130p SkyScan GOTO would be better (£290). Smaller reflector I know, but it is a GOTO.

So do you all think I am better off getting the larger scope and adding to it or the smaller (and more portable as it will probably get put away most evenings) GOTO scope. Is there a lot of difference between 150mm and 130mm? (except for 20mm!)

Your views are welcome - I am spending (her) cash next week!

Thanks - you all are a brilliant help to me re-kindling my hobby!

Clear Skies!!

Tel :laugh:

For an idea of the difference in size between the two scopes,check out ASTROBABES website (must re-learn that hyperlink stuff!).You'll find the pics on the 200p review.The 130 is on the EQ2 mount (same as mine)but I dont suppose that the GOTO is much smaller,or lighter (correct me if I'm- probably- wrong).

I have the 130P AZ GOTO which is a great scope and is ok for a bit of webcam photography but not suitable for use with longer exposure DSLR shots. It's simple to set up / pack up and gives great views. I can't compare it with a 150 but do know that I had a very strong urge to upgrade after a few months which is why I now have the 200P dob as I didn't think the difference between 130 and 150 would be that significant to justify the expense. I do love the GOTO though and am glad I went for it initially as it helped me see things straight away. Others will say it's best to start manually as it helps you learn your way around but each to his or her own I suppose. I just love gadgets.... but not sure if that helps you!

Archived