NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Enjoyable Session Last Night 14/8/12

webboid

I got my scope in May this year & as a complete newbie it has been a steep learning curve. But with more cloud than clear skies I have almost exclusively dedicated myself to learning all I can. As I look after my elderly, disabled Mum full time I do not have to worry about getting up for work, so I have plenty of time but a limited income.

The sky was looking good early evening so I set up early to allow the scope to cool down. Around 10.30pm I went out for my first session. Originally my plan was to spend time in Persius, but neighbours were out with floodlights on so that bit of sky was awful. So I decided to have a look in the higher sky. Albireo first, always delightful then to the double double. I split this at 154x but not any lower. Seeing not great I guess. Whilst in that area I had a revisit to M56 again at 154x could see some of the stars in this globular. I then had a look at M13, my first DSO I ever viewed with my own scope. This time was the best I've ever seen it. Many stars visible direct & averted vision plus I thought I could discern the propeller. A wow moment for me. Next I moved up nearer to the pole & observed "the garnet star" in Cepheus. Not as red as I expected but obvious all the same. Then on to a new constellation for me, Draco.

At my local astronomy club I was recommended the book "Objects in the Heavens" & I mostly use that for ideas of what to observe. I now had to find the right guide stars & star hop to my destinations. This I am still not great at, but after several restarts I found the cat's eye nebular NGC 6543. It was a definite blue hue but no detail, very nice. Whilst in that area I checked a few double stars Psi, described as pale yellow/blue but didn't appear too coloured to me, pretty all the same. Then Phi which seemed to be a fairly wide white pair but I'm not sure. Next in that area I star hopped to NGC 6503 an elliptical galaxy. I could just about make out something & it seemed more apparent with averted vision. That I am still trying to master. Very pleased to see that though. I then had a look at an asterism near there called little Cassiopeia. Not too apparent but a nice spot.

I decided to have a break only to notice the sky clouding over all around me. Had a toilet break & checked on my Mum. About half an hour later I returned. The sky was just clearing so I pointed to the east as the neighbours light was off. I had a nice view of Andromeda as it was now around 11.30pm so a bit higher up. I was able to see the core with a bit of an oval shape around it. Again the best I have seen yet. Also M32 was clearly visible. However M110 again was only just visible with averted vision. As another member described in one of my other reports "looks like a puff of smoke" Then on to Almaak in Andromeda. A very nice double, orange & blue. I then travelled on to the double cluster in Perseus, which I think will look better when I get the 32mm panaview. Back to star hopping, I eventually found M34 & then M76 a very faint tiny nebular but visible all the same, better with averted vision. Maybe the UHC filter I have ordered would help. Finally I tried to see M33 but I think the skyglow has got the better of me. Finished about 1.30am. Also during the session I saw 4 or 5 persieds, one left a visible trail which seemed to linger for several seconds.

All in all my best night yet hoping for more tonight.

Paul

Great post!

I have an Orion XT8 Telescope...I am still quite a newbie as haven't really looked at deep sky objects but this post gave a real sense of what's out there!

Having the same aperture on my scope as you, I didn't realise you could see so much! Really inspired me to get out there now!! Clouds permitting of course ;)

great going paul. some difficult objects being bagged there. m33 is shy with any light pollution what so ever, i managed the faintest glimpse of the core once on a moonless night with averted vision from my town location of about a bortle 7/8 scale. not an easy target. but so im told its a beutiful sight and not too difficult from a dark site.

clear skies...

Great post!

I have an Orion XT8 Telescope...I am still quite a newbie as haven't really looked at deep sky objects but this post gave a real sense of what's out there!

Having the same aperture on my scope as you, I didn't realise you could see so much! Really inspired me to get out there now!! Clouds permitting of course ;)

Glad my report has inspired you. Light pollution is a pain but I have found that the more I persevere the more I can see things. Particularly closer to the pole seems best.

I look forward to taking my scope to the darker site at my local astronomy club too.

Yeah, we have a lovely street light the front of the house! Hope the bulb goes in it! Lol.

But as u say, the pole always looks good when clear on the back of the house, I'm debating chopping my red dot for a telrad as sky searching with that thing is so difficult! Only really good on planets I've found...it's prob what's put me off looking for harder objects, galaxys, nebula etc.

What type of finder do you use?

Hello Dan

I started just with the finder scope but got very confused as I could see so many stars I didn't know where I was.

The light pollution is not too bad higher up so I can see to about mag 4.5 or so naked eye. Last night I could even see a hint of the milkyway.

Then one of the other members advised me to get a red dot finder, which made a massive difference.I first roughly align a brighter finder star to start on then go to the finderscope & start star hopping from there. I use Sky Atlas 2000 to then star hop to my target. It takes me several attempts sometimes but eventually I get to the spot.

Last night I revisited several targets including M71, M27 & M31/32 I also got a hint of M33 very faint though

Good hunting

Paul

Sounds like a great night - I wish there were some universal way to turn off street lights/security lights by shining a light "in their eyes" - even if it were only for a period of 20-30 minutes. While my neighbor's lights don't bother me I have a street light directly behind my house that greatly limits where I can point my scope. :huh:

Happy hunting.

Hello Dan

I started just with the finder scope but got very confused as I could see so many stars I didn't know where I was.

The light pollution is not too bad higher up so I can see to about mag 4.5 or so naked eye. Last night I could even see a hint of the milkyway.

Then one of the other members advised me to get a red dot finder, which made a massive difference.I first roughly align a brighter finder star to start on then go to the finderscope & start star hopping from there. I use Sky Atlas 2000 to then star hop to my target. It takes me several attempts sometimes but eventually I get to the spot.

Last night I revisited several targets including M71, M27 & M31/32 I also got a hint of M33 very faint though

Good hunting

Paul

Thanks for the reply in regards to this.

I will stick with it then - I think once i have seen my first galaxy etc I will soon get the bug! :)

Dan.

Great report..

Well done on 6503...galaxies are tough but this is one that is easier than some...Try NGC 5866 ...M102?? In Draco ...It is quite similar to 6503 in shape and size..

You mention M34..Just below and right is NGC 1023 which is another similiar galaxy to the two above in brightness and size..Try it..

On the garnet star...there are many redder ones but they are fainter...They are called carbon stars..There is one below and left of the circle of stars up and left of M11....If you can find it you will be blown away by it colour..

Glad to here you are enjoying the hunt of the skies stunning objects....

Mark (the galaxy hunter..can you tell)

Archived