Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue EP or UHC-S Filter?

Michael1971

Hi,

I want to get a bit more out of my DSO images. (Galaxies/Nebula's)

My images are to smudgy, and I am missing details.

Of course longer exposures, bigger apertures would be best but:

longer exposures, you need even more stable tracking (and I still havent got it really right..)

bigger apertures = new scope = no way.. lol

I am thinking more in the line of:

- Baader Filter UHC-S

- TeleVue 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece (which I can attach to my dslr)

I am not sure which gives me the best desired effect so I would gladly hear your opinion. :grin:

cheers,

Mike

Difficult to answer I think Mike :o

Some example images, highlighting what you mean might help. But I am not sure either of the things you mention will give you the desired effect.

I use the same scope as you and also feel that there is something lacking in sharpness. In my case I put it down to collimation perhaps not being as good as I think it is and also that I image from within a housing estate so there are lots of lovely roads and roof tops to radiate heat plooms and mess up the seeing. I also haven't got my finger out and collected enough data to be able sharpen the highlights effectively. I have to pull the object out from light pollution and that tends to increase noise, which only gets worse when you apply sharpening.

I have shot some mono through a an Astronomic UHC and that worked quite well as a luminance layer, so of the two options, I would say go with that, but make sure your collimation is tip top first.

Thanks for replying Rik.

I attached an example of an attempt on NGC6946 This is a stack of 10 2,5minutes ISO 800. (unprocessed, only some levels adjustments)

It could be that I need to make longer series, atleast an hour. Usually I go for 45 minutes. Since I am a bit eager to see more objects in one night..

You can see a bit of the spiral but I am just wondering if its possible to improve this with the options I mentionned.

I think I will start with a filter UHC/UHC-S or maybe just an LPR to see if that will help, although it seems that for galaxies there is not really an adviseable filter since galaxies emit a lot of different light.

My colimation should be ok, although I only use a chesire tool..

Cheers

Mike

post-24961-0-44545900-1345397500_thumb.j

I also just use a Cheshire for collimation; I've been wondering about investing in a cat's eye kit?

I think that for something like this you just need more exposure time. Longer subs and more of them. I put over 4 hours into each of these in 5min subs. Apart from the mount, we use almost identical equipment.

gallery_18573_493_1338790552_16643.jpg

gallery_18573_493_1338790552_16700.jpg

I think I will get me atleast a filter. which..not sure yet..

Never heard of a cats eye kit TBH..

I've not found a filter that helps with galaxies. Nebulae contrast is improved by UHC or O-III filters though.

Here is some info on the Catseye stuff:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/catseye-comboset-pro-xlk-xlsk-kits.html

I don't think you're getting much LP in that image, could you try 1h or 1h30m worth of exposure and see what that achieves, because I'm sure it's probably down to exposure. The stars are only very very slightly off, so collimation is probably not your issue.

Better to have a good view (or image) of one object than a poor view (or image) of many :).

Archived