telescope help

Hi if you check out the pinned forums on the top of the page they are informative,

Starting out you need a decent easy to use scope that will allow your hobby to grow but not break the back or bank, a heritage skywatcher 130 is a great way at £130 or so it will provide hours of fun and should you grow to a bigger scope it will resell well.

Will need to have an idea of budget, suspect that suggesting the excellent sharp colour free views through an Astro-Physics 175 Starfire may be a start but at 19,800 and a 20 years waiting list may make it impractical.

Say this as that is the range that you have in this hobby, anything from an Argos package to (and beyond) the above.

What do you want it for?

And before you come back with the "standard" planets, moon, DSO's and astrophotography be aware that you will not get all, at least not without a large budget.

Considering astrophotography as being out of the equation, then any particular type of scope?

3 options Refractor, Reflector, Mak/SCT.

I would ignore the Mak/SCT at this time - reason narrow field of view, makes getting things to look at a bit more difficult, also thay are often part of a goto system these days. Fine if you want goto. People will point out you are spending money on the electronics. Which is correct as the last I was aware Celestron, Meade, Skywatcher were not handing out the electronics, motors and computer system free.

In the starter refractor line consider the Evostar 90mm, better still the 102mm. Best if you got one on an EQ3 mount.

In the starter reflector line consider the Skywatcher 150P. On a dobsonian base it is something like £210, on the EQ mount something like £290

Whatever you come back with concerning what you want one for please be realistic, also where about are you, that helps as if in central London it makes a difference to sole resident on a Hebridean Island.

Many thanks, that makes a difference.

Back to a couple that I suspect are aimed at a first scope:

The 150P Dobsonian from Sjywatcher: Reasonable aperture, completely manual as in you nudge/kick it to locate whatever the nudge/kick it to follow whatever. Requires you to know where things are and also you have to get used to pointing the scope at them. A few nights with a reasonable book and working out where M81, M82, M31 etc are (should be) will help. Advice - do not go looking for the dimmest smallest thinngs first - pick the big shiny ones.

150P Dob from FLO is £210

The other is again the Evostar 90 refractor. Minor hiccup is that the smaller EQ2 mount + scope is £150 the bigger EQ3 mount and scope is £235. The EQ3 will allow the addition of motors in the future and is a more robust mount.

The 150P is on a Dobsonian mount, they are easy, the scope is a Newtonian and will need collimating at times, the more it is moved (bumped, banged, dropped) the more often it will require collimating. In efect you will need a collimator. These cost around £30. Budget that is as a required item.

Mention this as that means the 150P and the Evostar 90 on the EQ3 come to much the same cost.

The 150P is still the larger, and will collect 2.8 times as much light.

If there is a local club, see if they have an observing evening, try now as some will be stood outside looking at meteors tonight. They may have examples of either for you to look at.

For your situation you are in a position where a small Mak would be relevant, however I can see none that fall within budget.

Also try the used market http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

there may be something relevant on there.

The other is again the Evostar 90 refractor. Minor hiccup is that the smaller EQ2 mount + scope is £150 the bigger EQ3 mount and scope is £235. The EQ3 will allow the addition of motors in the future and is a more robust mount.

I've just started out with the Evostar 90 on an EQ2 mount, and thus far I'm very happy with it.

I recently converted the scope for a friend by attaching an old vixen tripod to the base, its superb. The optics are great and I like the helical focuser. the adition of a stuff sack cut to size as a soft cover to cut out the light also helps.

Archived