Heater Tape & Controller For My C9.25 OTA

Hi all,

Only had one opportunity to use my new scope once since I got it. However on it's first outing the front element dewed up big time even with the dewsheild on. I am therefore fooking at a dew prevention system and am currently looking at an Astrozap heater tape and controller.

I am told that if I put a suitable heater tape on I wont need the dewsheild. Hope that someone can confirm that this is the case as it is going to be a real pain faffing around putting a dewsheild on as well. I know I am going to get something before I use the scope again as it is pretty much unusable at the moment.

Thanks

Hi Ya Malc, these larger SCTs really suffer with dew, due ( I know same word different spelling) to the large surface area of the corrector - I got a controller off e bay - the 4 channel version (Hitecastro) and works really well, remember these summer nights are prone to a moist atmosphere - so winter will be a little better (wished I could observe from Mars - nice and dry) I have the flexible dew and heater tape combined - blumming expensive £75.00 nicka but really works well, but a good blast from a hair dryer will work just as well - but electrics and a moist environment spell danger so be careful - oh and glad the op went well been watchin your posts - take care mate - have a look on e bay can't remember the outlet but keep looking. I know that heat close to the corrector seems the exact opposite to what we need ( a well cooled optical path - leaving the scope out to cool down) the dew heater controller is variable so set it to just above the air temp as to not degrade the optical path ( I know that when star testing the optics - some nights the airy disc is "boiling") - its a fine line between a clear corrector and heated tube currents - remember that the atmosphere will always degrade the image more than the defects in the lowered contrast that an SCT will give you ( the secondary mirror obstruction).

Take care mate - hope that helps a little - go for the dew shield and heater - you'll have to mess around with the settings on the heater a little as every nights observing is different - some nights are "wetter" than others - but with that set up your gonna have some real pleasure under the stars. Regards Paul

I've used SCT's for some time now and they do really need dew control on some evenings. I use a Kendrick Digifire 7 controller with 4 outputs and it's never let me down. A 10" band round the corrector is the minimum you'd need and I would suggest a dewshield as well. The dewshield helps to keep dew off but also serves to shield off stray light entering the ota when observing from a light polluted area.

I sometimes have a band round the primary too, as well as the eyepiece (or bv's) and finder scope. A low heat output hairdryer is fine for periodic use so long as you don't blow directly onto he corrector plate. Sudden changes in temperature can cause it to crack. I just swish warm air round the inside of the dew shield - but if the dew's getting heavy it's probably time to pack up anyway. :)

or you can make your own i did i have a heater on my correctot e.p. and both ends of my finder all indapendantly controlled. as brantuk says good idea to use a dew shield as well that way you can keep heat down to a minimum on your corrector and also stops stray light entering your o.t.a.

Archived