New mount... Suggestions ?

Well, my Celestron 8SE mount is toast. It would be $150+ to fix it and from what I have been reading, this mount doesn't seem to have very durable drive trains. Also it really can't be used long exposure astrophotography. If I was looking for a computerized goto mount to be used for basic observing and for Astrophotography, (which I have the camera equipment for) what type of mount would I want. I am under the impression that an Equatorial mount is a good choice. What do you pros think ?

I only looked at these mounts... what do you think. I would like to think about the future, so I want a mount that will take my 8 SE OTA now and something a little larger in the future.

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/GoTo-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-SkyView-Pro-Equatorial-GoTo-Telescope-Mount/pc/-1/c/2/sc/36/p/24709.uts

http://www.buytelescopes.com/Products/16452-ioptron-smartstar-pr-computerized-german-equatorial-mount.aspx

Hi,

Not too sure about this but if the exchange rate is $1 = £1 or very close for almost the same money you could be getting an NEQ6 pro or at least an NEQ5 pro, it depends entirely what you want to do in the future, how much payload you expect to make up over the coming years, In my opinion the mounts in the pics dont look too bad but they dont look as sturdy as the NEQ5 or 6 which is what a lot of people are using for AP. I have the NEQ6 and rate it very highly.

Kev.

An equatorial mount allows you to polar align and track objects in a single plane following the natural movement of the Earth's spin. An alt/az mount like your existing SE has to track in two planes (altitude and azimuth) limiting photography to short exposures, so only solar system objects (planets, moon. sun) can be realistically imaged with any degree of sucess.

The two mounts you link to would be fine for imaging dso's but it all depends on what weight of scope you intend to put on it and what it's payload limits are. Some eq mounts are more robust and solid than others and vary in precision. I used a Celestron CG5 GT Goto for quite some time very sucessfuly - it's similar to the Orion.

I had small and lightweight telescopes on that. For something heavier then the HEQ5 or NEQ6 would be the next ones to look at in the mass market range. Remember you will also be putting cameras's, reducers. flatenners, and a guide scope and guide camera as well as other accessories on it for long exposure photography. It all adds weight. :)

Your 8 inch SCT has a long focal length and this needs not only a mount with the payload capacity but also with the accuracy needed. Long FLs need more accuracy. I would go for the NEQ6 pro. Even with that you may find that getting the autoguiding right may take a little input and care.

I'm not sure exactly what the mounts in your link are called on the UK market.

Olly

Your 8 inch SCT has a long focal length and this needs not only a mount with the payload capacity but also with the accuracy needed. Long FLs need more accuracy. I would go for the NEQ6 pro. Even with that you may find that getting the autoguiding right may take a little input and care.

I'm not sure exactly what the mounts in your link are called on the UK market.

Olly

Olly, I just followed the link to your B & B site. Wow, a 20" Dob at a dark site. That's a dream scenario. I think I'm going to have to start saving my pennies to come for a visit.

Also, I have decided to repair my 8SE for now, I had looked at and and really like the NE6 pro. It may take me a while to save up, but I think that would be a mount that would last me for a long time. It would finally allow me to do some astrophotography. Thanks for your ideas regarding my mount.

Clear skies,

Gordon

Archived