NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RA clock moves on HEQ5

Russe

Despite locking the RA clock with its little screw on my HEQ5 PRO, it moves little by little, after releasing the RA clutch and moving the mount's head.

Is that a common problem?

I was following astronomy shed's YouTube guide for setting up GEM.

Good news is, my polar scope is aligned nicely...

• 4 weeks later...

The one on my EQ3-2 is fairly wobbly, too. I don't worry about it too much. I'd not describe the time and date rings as a "precision instrument". The time ring doesn't rotate freely (unlike the date ring), but even with the locking screw engaged it still allows a small amount of rotation.

James

It can be frustrating, I agree. The NEQ6 is not exactly cheap. But then if you want a GEM that genuinely does seem to work perfectly straight out of the box you'll be looking at paying £4,000 upwards :(

James

A fair bit of my kit is in boxes at the moment for reasons of domestic harmony whilst some work is finished inside the house :) My plan for this summer was to get my obsy built and move it all to that, but a combination of work and summer not actually making an appearance have scuppered that one for the time being.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Archived