Powering CG5 Mount

So, I went out and bought myself new mount and scope. Completely forgot about power supply. My ETX125 uses batteries. How do I go about powering this mount, I obviously don't want to damage it, so exact recommendations would really be appreciated. On FLO they have http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skytron-power-supply-cable-for-skywatcher-celestron-mounts.html this. What could people recommend as suitable external power supplies? Cheers

I think most go for the Maplins 12V portable 17Ah power suplies, but I think you will get a variety of responses, I myself use standard 17Ah Power-sonic SLA batteries which I have still to mount in a carry case , but there again my mount only requires 12V @ 0.5 of an Amp to run it :)

John.

http://www.maplin.co...power-units-231

check these out, I got the more expensive one (£40) for my HEQ5 PRO. This was on advice from the boys at FLO, obviously only works if you got mains supply nearby, you will also want one of the cables you have the link to, the one with the ring tongues. If you not going to power much more than the mount, go for the cheaper one.

Am currently trying to decide on a 'portable' power supply, many seem to use 'jump starter packs, which Maplin do, but I aint settled yet, might do a home build.

hope this helps

Rick

Yup - get the Maplins 17ah field pack - had mine two years and never a problem. I've powered a CPC, NEQ6 Pro, and CG5GT Goto with it and it's never failed me yet. Make sure it gets a good 16hr charge before first use and keep it regularly topped up at 3month intervals when not in use. Half the price of a branded pack - sometimes cheaper still when on offer - can't go wrong really. :)

Cheers,

have been looking at that one (among others). The problem I've had is looking at the reviews, there always seems to be about a 60/40 split, saying they're not really very good. Don't really need the extras but I'm very hesitant to buy something that doesn't come with a 'personal' recommendation from someone on here! and a lot of them I couldn't even find the 'ah' rating.

Rick

You may well find some of the dissatissfied folks didn't charge it up properly in the first place - it's so easy to use it straight off and run it flat without a good charge first. It can also be left over summer unused without topping up regularly and slowly drain away. But maintained properly it'll last a good long time - like I said mine is two yrs old and still going strong :)

Your mount should come with a power cable and a ciggy socket on the battery end. If not you may have to check the size of the mount jack socket and get an appropriate adaptor - Maplins will help out there - it'll only cost pennies :)

cant say for the CG5, but the HEQ5 comes with a power cable with a cigarette lighter type plug, which will connect to this item.

So, yes, so long as your supplied cable has a cigarette lighter type plug on it.

Rick

I would go along with what Kim has said, the only reason I mentioned Power-Sonic is they are a high quality stand alone SLA battery which does have a very long shelf life without regular charging, unlike some of the power packs which I believe do need a little more regular attention. If you are just going to need a simple power source for your mount only, the 17 Ah is ideal, as they are light to carry about, a simple box and a little DIY wiring is all that is needed, although a dedicated charger can be a bit expensive if you have not already got one. As they say the choice is yours :)

John.

Yup - there are other solutions and nothing wrong with Power sonic at all - you could also consider a leisure battery - not as portable as the Maplin one but you can get 85ah or 110ah but may need to wire in a ciggy socket. Great for using at a week long star party. My use is mostly for portability and sporadic 3-4hr sessions. :)

Don't wish to hijack the post. I think a word about sealed lead battery problems is probably relevant.

Many people do not understand the storage, discharge and charge requirements.

This results in battery damage, or what is perceived a bad performance.

All of the packs you are offered retail are under considerable price pressure. This means many power pack or 'start n charge' manufacturers save a few bob by using a mains charger that will ,if left on too long, wreck any battery.

Some batteries are not a good as others in their standard of construction and after a few drops or knocks, internal plate connections break.

Some batteries don't have the 'little extras' to help with withstanding deep discharge, or help deal with overcharge.

These batteries are a huge subject on their own. I have been using sealed lead acid since the 70s. Often paying more for the battery, than a complete retail power pack. You tend to get what you pay for from a battery manufacturer. Whether the expensive retail pack is better than a cheap retial pack is another matter.

As a general rule. A 17Ah battery is going to be good for all night with a CG5, evenwhen the battery has degraded with age.

Hope this is useful.

I don't know if what I use is relevent to your needs but I've got a CG5 mount to which I added the Dual drive myself. To power it I just use a 6v lead acid battery - quite often you can find good deals on amazon/ebay for a Yuasa or similar with a good ampHr for about a tenner. The trickle chargers are also pretty cheap if you'd need to buy one. I've been using mine for years and its excellent, lasts all night and beyond. (Obviously if you want to power extra things like laptops, dew heaters, etc, then this wouldn't be the best approach).

Well the most I'd be using it is about 4 hours at a time. I'm just a bit worried about the wait as I shall be carrying my entire kit about a mile and then up 4 flights of stairs

Taking into account what David Valentine has said, is one reason why I suggested Power-Sonic as a quality stand alone unit, placed in a small box, with a handle, for transportability.

Yuasa are also of a same quality. Check out Power-Sonic`s web site, they give a full technical breakdown of their battery construction and reliability which runs to several pages. As I said the choice is yours :)

John.

Archived