NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Baader Hyperion Mark III Zoom

Space Beagle

I know, another topic about this flippin eyepiece....sorry.... :tongue:

Just received a new one of these, thanks FLO!

First impression is that it is not as big and heavy as I thought it might be after reading some of the posts on here! It is quite small compared to the Speers Waler 5-8 zoom (not really a zoom, i'm told!) that I already have...........Thinking of changing my name to 'Zoom Boy' now....It is a couple of milimeters taller than my Aero 30mm and just about the same diameter, so not really that large at all..!!

I know it won't be a replacement to the Televues I did have, :embarrassed: but, being realistic about my level of viewing and the actual number of times I actually go out at the moment, it probably will do me very well indeed!! :laugh:

Seems well made, feels sold and no rattles, the twist zoom function is quite smooth and like I say it seems quite light to me!

I will be out observing with it soon, so will post some random thoughts about that soon!!

Doc

I look forward to your thoughts on this EP - part of me thinks it may be a good buy but the FOV at lowest mag looks a little small compared with some dedicated 24mm EPs. I find star hopping to be difficult and thought a wider FOV may be useful but maybe the eventual addition of a Telrad will help with that.

50 degrees FoV at the 24mm setting isn't too bad, but, I will be using my 30mm Areo as my 'finder' eyepiece before using the Baader. I do also have a Telrad and yes they are great bits of kit to use to help you get in the right area. It works just as well on my dob mounted 200P and on the Tal 100rs, which you have too - nice! So, yes, do try and get one!!

I will miss the wider FoV of the Televus I had, but I really think the Baader will just fine for me! I can't remember ever seeing one for sale used, which kind of indicates that they are what we call keepers!

Doc

I find ity works best in a 2" diagonal, as in a 1.25" one the the srew to tighten it into the holder rubs against the base and you have to lift it slightly to engage it properly. A bad design flaw in my opinion, but having said that it is a great lens to use.

I tried it out on the Moon tonight, not bad, but there's a piece of dust or something which appears to be inside the lens and is very distracting, especially at the 24mm setting!

Tried blowing it of with a rocket blower and very gentle cleaning with Baader wonderfluid and cloth, but it's still there. It moves round as I twist the lens, so I guess it on the inside!

Ive sent FLO an email, im sure they'll let me have another one to try!

Apart from that it seems to work well enough, I don't think the seeing conditions were great tonight as there seemsd to be a bit of 'atmosphere boiling' looking at the Lunar surface, but detail levels were fairly good tbh!

I did find I had to tweak the focusser a little to get focused on different parts on the lunar surface on the same zoom setting, I know that the Moon is round :grin: and the edges are slightly further away than the middle regions :grin: , but don't recall having to adjust the focus so much using the Naglers I had. Like I say, though that might of also had something to do with the seeing conditions!

It sits very snugly in the Moonlite focusser on my 200P - no nasty holder screws to worry about Richard.. :p

It's no Nagler for sure, but im sure i'll be quite happy with it, well, once I have one without the small defect..eekk!

I probably should've posted this in the eyepiece section I guess, maybe a freindly Mod will move it for me.. :laugh:

Looking forward to trying it out on a good dark, Moonless night on some DSO's

Doc

I got the matching 2.25x Barlow attachment recently as well, and it turns the 8-24 into a 3.5-10.6 zoom. This has meant that I now have one piece of hardware that I can carry that allows a full range of focal lengths suitable for short refractors. It's made a big difference to being able to see planetary detail in comfort with the 80mm F6 ED. It'll also make a difference to traveling with a scope only needing the one eyepiece+tiny barlow if I travel abroad.

The only real issue I have with the Baader zoom (apart from the limited FOV at longer FL) is there is a smooth reflective surface within the eyepiece that reflects well, causing contrast to be lost if there's a bright object just outside of the field of view. It's only become noticeable for me as I've flocked absolutely everything else and it's the last thing I would need to do, but as it appears to be a bearing surface inside the eyepiece it's not going to be done.

Mighty fine eyepiece overall and very very flexible in use. I use mine a lot.

Archived